Question on best approach to verify doors locked and windows

Posted on
Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:26 am
norcoscia offline

Question on best approach to verify doors locked and windows

Hi, just wondering how others are checking for open windows and locked doors - I'm thinking about just having a schedule that runs every min or so to check devices (see below). Then if any are open or unlocked just set a variable to secured or unsecured. This process requires two schedules to run - one to check if all closed and another to check if any open.

My question is - is this a good way to handle this - or is there a better way - is this approach wasteful from a CPU/Program cycle perspective.

Just wondering how others handle there checking....
Attachments
2017-08-03_08-20-50.png
2017-08-03_08-20-50.png (157.54 KiB) Viewed 3594 times

_______
Norm

Posted on
Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:50 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Question on best approach to verify doors locked and win

Alternately, create a Device Group such that when any of those devices goes on the group goes on - so the device state shows the state of all openings.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:14 am
norcoscia offline

Thanks Jay - that works much much better :idea:

_______
Norm

Posted on
Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:38 am
norcoscia offline

Hmmm, does not seem to work for this when any of the devices goes off -- the device group does not seem to be going off - any issues with this working with Insteon open /close sensors?

Does it only work in one direction - ON?

_______
Norm

Posted on
Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:40 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Did you select ANY or ALL in the config dialog in the popup under the device list? It should be ANY.

Also, when you created the group it saved the states so if any were ON (open) it likely saved the state incorrectly. Close them all (so that they're all OFF) then open the config dialog and check the "Check to update all device states" checkbox and save.

Actually, for you usecase, I'd just select "ON" in the "On/Off devices are ON when" popup menu.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:58 am
norcoscia offline

Boy I'm having a bad HA day :cry: - before you posted I had clicked the Check to update all device states" checkbox to see if something was out of sync. And to my surprise my two doors unlocked - so for now I have removed them from the list of devices I'm checking - I'm not sure if Unlocked (for doors) is On of Off or if that is part of my problem.

Just wanted to let you now about the doors (not sure if that is intended / expected behavior) - I'll try your suggestion in a bit - turning too many knobs today - taking a break before I mess everything up....

_______
Norm

Posted on
Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:07 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

So when you saved the dialog the doors unlocked? From the plugin's perspective, that can't happen. It doesn't send commands to devices when the configuration of the device group is changed. If you clicked the turn on/off button for the device group, that might have done it.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:39 pm
norcoscia offline

I can't be sure exactly what I did, I was not writing everything down or following a test procedure - I just know the doors unlocked - I went back and deleted everything - added only two Insteon door window sensors and tried it again - I'm getting zip to work today - I tried opening the window and door and the device group does not changed.

It seems like as I try things I'm getting different and strange results - I'm sure it is me just messing something up.

Don't worry about this one - I'm going to give up for now and think about it another day - worn down too much - thanks for trying to help me....

_______
Norm

Page 1 of 1