Trigger when zwave device wakes?

Posted on
Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:08 pm
jmdraper offline

Trigger when zwave device wakes?

Is there a way of triggering when a z-wave device wakes?

Background:
I have a zwave thermostat the set point of which I control from a control page. The device has a minimum time interval between wakes of 5 minutes, which of course means that after changing the set point using the control page it can be up to 5 minutes until that is transmitted to the thermostat when it next wakes.

Challenge:
What I'd like to do is show on the control page an indicator that the change is pending, so that the user can clearly see from the control page whether the command has taken effect yet. I could do this easily enough if only I could trigger when the device wakes. Or perhaps when the command is sent. I know how to trigger when a z-wave command is *received* from a device, but not when Indigo sends one. Indigo clearly 'knows' when this happens since the log shows an entry to show the command being 'queued' when the user makes the change and then again when the command is actually sent. So I want to trigger when that latter piece happens. How can I achieve this?

Many thanks,
Jon

Posted on
Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:14 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Trigger when zwave device wakes?

The only way to trigger when a command is sent is by creating a plugin that defines the zwaveCommandSent method, or if the action to change the setpoint is a control on a Control Page you can add an additional action (that calls a script, sets a variable value, etc.) on to the control (controls can have as many server actions assigned as you wish).

To know when the module broadcasts its "I'm Awake" message you can use the Match Raw Packet trigger type (after selecting Z-Wave Command Received), and choose your device in the From popup menu. For the open trigger try a Match Bytes field like this:

* 0x84 0x07 *

Posted on
Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:49 am
jmdraper offline

Re: Trigger when zwave device wakes?

Perfect - thanks Matt. That last bit was what I needed. I managed to use the 'write last 60 seconds of z wave packets received to log' function to get the right code (after waiting around for 5 minutes staring at my event log to catch it soon after it had woken!) and create a trigger which now fires when the i'm awake signal is received from my heating thermostat. I can now add some logic to create the indicator I was after on my control page.

Thanks again!

Jon

Page 1 of 1