Email trigger fails to trigger

Posted on
Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:22 pm
Matt offline

Email trigger fails to trigger

I recently added an ifttt applet to my phone to trigger whenever I get close to home or leave.

I have email scanning setup in Indigo 7 (latest version) and it appears to function correctly - the authentication and email scanning messages appear when Indigo checks the email every minute.
The trigger is set to go off when certain words appeared in the subject line. There is only one condition for each email trigger - whether the garageDoor variable is "open" or "closed" And the two actions turn on the garage door I/O link then turn it off.

Yet the triggers never fire.

I have deleted all the email info in Preferences and entered them back in. I have deleted the triggers and re-created them. Still nothing.

Anyone have any ideas?

Posted on
Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:32 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Email trigger fails to trigger

Post screenshots of the trigger, condition, and actions tabs.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:33 pm
Matt offline

This is what I have so far.
Attachments
Untitled 4.jpeg
Untitled 4.jpeg (90.13 KiB) Viewed 3150 times
Untitled 3.jpeg
Untitled 3.jpeg (71.76 KiB) Viewed 3150 times
Untitled 2.jpeg
Untitled 2.jpeg (68.97 KiB) Viewed 3150 times

Posted on
Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:58 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

You're sure the email subject contains exactly those words (spaces, etc)? In your Event Log, when it shows receiving the message, what else shows in the log? Insert a log snippit for a minute or so before and after the email is received so we can see the context.

Also, if you're using an I/O Linc with a garage door kit, you shouldn't need to turn the output off if you have it configured to automatically turn off as we outline in the wiki article (specifically step 2). This isn't likely to be the problem, just an observation.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:01 pm
Matt offline

I verified the subject in the trigger is the same as the email.

The log doesn't indicate that an email scan has been performed. The only indication of an email scan is being down is in the bottom left of the main Indigo window that indicates the email account is been authenticated and scanned.

Below is a pic of the email setup in Indigo.
Attachments
Untitled.jpeg
Untitled.jpeg (58.68 KiB) Viewed 3095 times

Posted on
Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:19 am
DaveL17 offline

Just ruling out other things:

I assume that you're receiving email messages from IFTTT.

does the trigger fire if you send an email directly to that account (with that subject line)?
'open' does not equal 'Open' (if your actual variable value is capitalized, it won't be a match)
'open' does not equal 'open ' (extra space on the end of the condition or variable value)
do you have other email triggers that are working as you expect?
are you sure those are the proper ports for Gmail?

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:21 am
Matt offline

I verified the port numbers, made sure the variable values are the same and the subject line in the trigger is the same as in the email. All of it checks out.

The only other email trigger I have does not work either.

I deleted the email preferences in the Indigo folder and restarted the computer, and nothing...

Thanks for your help. Not sure what else is left at this point. maybe delete all email triggers and settings and start over?

I logged in to my gmail account and fiddled with the pop settings - which were correct. I changed the email account in Indigo to a different account, then changed it back to the original account. Indigo scanned about 250 emails, and then failed to scan after that. In fact after 5 minutes it still says "Email Scan: Connecting..."

Posted on
Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:54 am
DaveL17 offline

One other suggestion, and this might be a thing. If you have another email account (from a different provider) try running Indigo against that account. In the past few days, I've been receiving periodic notices in Mail.app that it can't connect to Gmail because the security certificate is invalid. The messages are inconsistent. Sometimes it can connect, sometimes not. Although the Google status page does not confirm this is an issue.

(Sorry I didn't think of that one before.)

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:03 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Email scanning doesn't perform well when there are a lot of email messages in the inbox. We recommend creating a dedicated email address to use for scanning and deleting the messages once they've been processed.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:30 am
FlyingDiver offline

jay (support) wrote:
Email scanning doesn't perform well when there are a lot of email messages in the inbox. We recommend creating a dedicated email address to use for scanning and deleting the messages once they've been processed.

Ditto for the BetterEmail plugin...

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:59 pm
Matt offline

I've tried three or four different email accounts, none of them cause a trigger to launch. I've given up completely.

Posted on
Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:04 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Matt wrote:
I've tried three or four different email accounts, none of them cause a trigger to launch. I've given up completely.

Try the BetterEmail plugin and turn on debug logging. I'm sure I can figure out what's going on.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Page 1 of 1