Scenes / Proximity Detection

Posted on
Sun May 14, 2017 5:35 pm
Fxguy offline

Scenes / Proximity Detection

I've never used indigo to its fullest capacity, simply using it for turning lights on and off and running a few scripts at the end of the day to make sure the lights are all turned off at bedtime but thats about the extent of it.

How can I setup "Scenes" for different times of day? I'd like to set a few presets that we use all the time (Living Room Lamps to 100%, Fireplace Light to 50%, Ceiling Fan Lights to 20%) and save them so that I can execute the scene / group all at once. What I would really like to do is be able to integrate with Amazon Alexa and be able to say "Alexa, turn on movie scene" or "set entertaining scene" and have that scene or group executed.

Also, I remember reading a while back that someone had setup a proximity detection so that when they arrived home and their phone connected to their wireless network, that it would trigger an indigo action. Can someone point me in the right direction to figure out how to do that?

Thanks!
Tim

Posted on
Mon May 15, 2017 5:18 am
johnpolasek offline

Re: Scenes / Proximity Detection

Fxguy wrote:
Also, I remember reading a while back that someone had setup a proximity detection so that when they arrived home and their phone connected to their wireless network, that it would trigger an indigo action. Can someone point me in the right direction to figure out how to do that?

Thanks!
Tim

There are several presence detection threads out there; personally, I never could any of the phone detection methods to work (search Fingscan or geofence for a whole bunch of references), but Karl's pibeacon plugin in third party plugins does an excellent job if you're willing to spend $30 to $50 for the rPi and $10 to $20 for bluetooth tiles for everyone who isn't carrying or wearing something like a fitbit that has a beacon already in it. He's got a whole bunch of states in the plugin that (for example) allows my house to unlock the door and disarm the security system as soon as a valid beacon pulls into the drive and lock the house up and arm the system as soon as the number of valid beacons becomes 0.

And in terms of triggering stuff, I use actions rather than scenes; you can (for example again) create an Indigo Action action that sets all the devices to the states you want them to be in for a movie and then trigger that Action from a keypad key or control page in touch... What I use powermodem scenes for is to do things like create a multiway switch; my living room light can be turned on and off from 4 different keypads scattered throughout the house, so I created a Scene in the powermodem which has all the various buttons as well as the switch that actually sends power to the lights linked as both responders and controllers; that way when ANY button is turned on or off, all the rest follow suit.

Posted on
Wed May 17, 2017 6:57 am
NewfD90 offline

I can't say enough good things about the Home Remote app (which allows you to set up a geofence on your iPhone). So far, for me and my Wife, it's been 100% effective. MUCH better than the array of crap I had set up with my old Vera. I have all sorts of different things happen when we leave or arrive, or whether we're both gone (and for how long).

Posted on
Wed May 17, 2017 8:06 am
Different Computers offline

Home Remote works well for me too, once it's set up. Read the threads here about it first though, as the UI for the iOS app is about the most counterintuitive thing I've ever run across.

I use Virtual Device groups to set groups of lights to various scenes like "Nightlights" and "Cloudy Day Lights" and that works well.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Page 1 of 1