"virtual triggers"

Posted on
Fri May 12, 2017 11:44 am
Vig offline

"virtual triggers"

Would be nice to have conditional/virtual triggers: if any of the N number of different events occurred combined in one "virtual trigger" by implementing ALL/ANY logic.
For instance, I have a KeypadLinc that I want its button light to turn ON if ANY of the lights (zwave/Insteon) are ON in the house and ANY of the audio zones is playing.
I want the KeypadLinc button light to turn OFF if ALL of the lights and music is off. So if I have 15 different "devices" I'd need to create 30 triggers to accomplish that. Would be nice if that could be done in one "virtual trigger" instead.

Posted on
Fri May 12, 2017 1:21 pm
Different Computers offline

Re: "virtual triggers"

You can do this by setting up virtual device groups which are "on if any device in the group is on", and then using the virtual device state as a conditional in the trigger.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Fri May 12, 2017 1:56 pm
Vig offline

Different Computers wrote:
You can do this by setting up virtual device groups which are "on if any device in the group is on", and then using the virtual device state as a conditional in the trigger.

To track the state of the virtual device (with the Model ON/OFF) you'd need to follow a variable that is set in the "virtual device" setting, and the way you change the state variable is by triggers, if you have 15 devices contributing to that one variable then you end up creating 30 different triggers: 15 triggers to set the variable to ON and 15 to set it to OFF. Not sure if there is any another way to do it...

Posted on
Fri May 12, 2017 3:02 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

The Device Group virtual device type can be used for the "if ANY of the lights (zwave/Insteon) are ON in the house" part of the equation - create a Device Group and select Group goes ON when Any device is ON. (I think this is what Different Computers was referring to).

We've had requests to allow multiple events to be specified in a single trigger before so it's on the feature request list.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri May 12, 2017 3:56 pm
Vig offline

jay (support) wrote:
The Device Group virtual device type can be used for the "if ANY of the lights (zwave/Insteon) are ON in the house" part of the equation - create a Device Group and select Group goes ON when Any device is ON. (I think this is what Different Computers was referring to).

We've had requests to allow multiple events to be specified in a single trigger before so it's on the feature request list.

Thanks Jay, I forgot to mention that some of my lights are controlled through Lutron scene controller (serial control) which is neither ZWave/Insteon.
So what I ended up doing is creating 2 virtual devices - one with Model DeviceGroup that included all ZWave/Insteon and another one Model ON/OFF that included Lutron and audio devices/TVs controlled through Action Group, that helped to minimize the number of triggers a bit.

Page 1 of 1