Triggers Don't Always Fire

Posted on
Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:16 am
Sharek326 offline

Triggers Don't Always Fire

I was wondering if anyone else has seen this. Over the course of the last few years I have increased my Home Automation significantly. Adding more switches, receptacles and sensors. But lately I am noticing a few bugs. Things that always seemed to just work are starting to get wonky.

An example of this is: I have a basic Trigger set in all the bathrooms to turn the light on when the motion goes on. It triggers a 4 min timer that upon expiring turns the off. And pauses the times if motion is again detected. This always seemed to just work. Now at times I can see the light go on on the Motion Sensor but no lights turn on. I can turn on the switch and then everything will work normally for awhile and maybe a few days later it will happen again. Sometimes it will turn on but the timer might expire and the light won't turn off.

My though is maybe I have too much going on in Indigo for it and something may be firing for something else like polling the Electricity usage for a Plot at the same time and Indigo is missing the light trigger. Is this possible?

Just about everything I use is Zwave.

Posted on
Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:44 am
Different Computers offline

Re: Triggers Don't Always Fire

The logs are your friend in these cases.

If they aren't telling you enough info, pick something that's misbehaving and add log actions so you can see what's happening and not happening.

For example: Add log action for any motion trigger that have NO conditions. That way you can discover if Indigo is not receiving the event, or not acting on it because of conditions.

I can't compare my system's level of complexity to yours because I don't know yours, but in troubleshooting any unexpected behavior, I've always found the issue to be one of these:

misbehaving sensor
      crappy ISP issues
      bad trigger condition design on my part that didn't account for all actual conditions

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:46 am
Sharek326 offline

I will have to play around a bit since the logs show they are firing but nothing is physically happening

Posted on
Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:09 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Sharek326 wrote:
Now at times I can see the light go on on the Motion Sensor but no lights turn on.

Can you clarify exactly what you mean by this?

Also:

Sharek326 wrote:
I will have to play around a bit since the logs show they are firing but nothing is physically happening

So, you see the trigger firing but do you see the actions themselves firing? If the trigger fires but the actions don't, then it may be a condition logic error. If you see the actions firing but the light doesn't actually respond and there is no error in the event log, then there may be something wrong with the device controlling the light. If there are errors in the event log then they might help identify what the problem is.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:13 am
johnpolasek offline

Different Computers wrote:
The logs are your friend in these cases.

If they aren't telling you enough info, pick something that's misbehaving and add log actions so you can see what's happening and not happening.

For example: Add log action for any motion trigger that have NO conditions. That way you can discover if Indigo is not receiving the event, or not acting on it because of conditions.

I can't compare my system's level of complexity to yours because I don't know yours, but in troubleshooting any unexpected behavior, I've always found the issue to be one of these:

misbehaving sensor
      crappy ISP issues
      bad trigger condition design on my part that didn't account for all actual conditions

you forgot signal noise/command collision ... AKA "No Ack" on controlled device...

Posted on
Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:02 am
Sharek326 offline

jay (support) wrote:
Sharek326 wrote:
Now at times I can see the light go on on the Motion Sensor but no lights turn on.

Can you clarify exactly what you mean by this?

Also:

Sharek326 wrote:

So, you see the trigger firing but do you see the actions themselves firing? If the trigger fires but the actions don't, then it may be a condition logic error. If you see the actions firing but the light doesn't actually respond and there is no error in the event log, then there may be something wrong with the device controlling the light. If there are errors in the event log then they might help identify what the problem is.

Jay - If I physically walk into the bathroom. I can see the red light go on on the AeonLabs Motion Sensor but it doesn't trigger the light at times....other times it works fine. Then some times it will trigger fine and the light will turn on but never go off.

When I check the logs it appears that in the log it shows the motion sensor switched to on and triggered the timer to start I should add that it isn't just one room one light or one sensor. Sometimes the same thing happens in the foyer with a fibaro motion sensor. That is why I was leaning toward too much noise or traffic

Posted on
Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:18 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I'd recommend doing a network optimization on your Z-Wave network just to make sure that the routes are working correctly. Then give it a couple of days to see if that helped.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:14 am
Different Computers offline

johnpolasek wrote:
you forgot signal noise/command collision ... AKA "No Ack" on controlled device...

My only No Ack errors have been with devices that are asleep or that somehow got into bad non-reporting states, not from signal noise.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Page 1 of 1