How do you set your HouseMode to 'sleeping' ?

Posted on
Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:37 am
DomoPat offline

Hello,

I have started implementing different 'HouseMode' for my system, and one unanticipated problem emerged.
While it was easy to trigger the 'away' mode or the 'we are back'/'occupied' mode through the arming and disarming of the alarm, I struggle on how to automatically detect that the family is in bed and not watching TV, so I can enable the 'sleeping' mode and arm the perimetric alarm. I would like this be automatic as it is more likely that the last one going to bed will forget to push the button which could trigger the sleeping mode...

I tried to use the turn off all the lights or the closing of the blinds but it does not work as we sometimes do this long before we go to bed. I thought of using the motion detectors but it pains me to have to install more of them only for that purpose. I thought of installing pressure pads under the beds: I like the idea, which could make it truly automatic and could provide some other possibilities for automation in the morning...

Are there any other option you guys are using ? How do you tell Indigo the house occupants are sleeping ?

Patrick

Posted on
Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:52 pm
roussell offline

Sleeping? That could be tough; however, years ago I had pressure sensors under the mattress that reported the in/out of bed status for me and my wife. They were connected to an Insteon IOlink device but anything that could get a switch closure into Indigo would work. I haven't used that in years so don't have the link at the moment, the sensors were pads that went under the bedsheets and used in hospitals or similar to tell if a patient got out of bed. I found them online somewhere. The pads worked well, I do remember having to program a... debounce delay... to ignore ummm, non sleeping activities. ;-)

Terry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:49 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: How do you set your HouseMode to 'sleeping' ?

roussell wrote:
I do remember having to program a... debounce delay... to ignore ummm, non sleeping activities. ;-)

:twisted:

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:12 pm
RogueProeliator offline

The pads worked well, I do remember having to program a... debounce delay... to ignore ummm, non sleeping activities. ;-)

Those of us with kids just assume you mean "kids bouncing on the bed despite being told 10,000,000 times to get in the damn bathtub". :)

Sleeping? That could be tough

Back to the original question, though, I think sleeping is a tough one... from just what I remember reading on the forums randomly over the years, I know many people are doing a bunch of combinations of things -- not one simple trigger. That is, perhaps lights out, no motion, TV not on, etc. One option you can do is have a button to press, but have a "backup" where in at some time if you haven't yet pressed the button it will automatically go to sleep mode unless disabled in some way.

This is similar to something I have planned out for our next vacation - if the alarm is unset at a certain time (meaning in-laws doing mail/feeding pets/etc. forgot to reset it) then it sends me a push notification with a button on the notification to arm the alarm. Perhaps you could do something similar either via some device on night stand, an Apple watch or some other device that is usually on you when you are awake.

Adam

Posted on
Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:46 am
racarter offline

Not quite fully automatic, but "Alexa, turn on sleep" works in our house. 8)

Posted on
Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:53 am
peteinau offline

We just have a Goodnight scene kicked off by Alexa or Siri. It prevents sensors and switches triggering lots of other things around the house, it resets itself back to normal ready for morning routines :)

Posted on
Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:21 am
Different Computers offline

Think hard about anything you always do before bed. Then see if there's a way for Indigo to detect that. Easiest example that comes to mind for me: putting your phone in a charger after 10PM. (Or whatever time works for you.)

This is actually pretty hard to make happen, depending on your level of comfort with the system getting it wrong. For example, if almost everyone is asleep, but someone is out late or up late, do you really want the whole house to be off and for it to react to the front door opening as if there was a burglar? How about if someone wakes up sick at 2 AM?

Just last night I crashed early and hard--so hard that the dog didn't get let out before bed, and she wasn't herded into the bedroom with me when I hit the bed. As a result, she stayed on a living room sofa, moving around enough that the "house quiets down after X time" trigger never fired. So at 5 am when I woke up momentarily, the whole house was still lit up like it was early evening.

So now I'm thinking about putting a vibration sensor or maybe a voltage monitor on my phone charger. Because even tired, I plugged in my phone before I started snoring.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:42 am
DomoPat offline

roussell wrote:
Sleeping? That could be tough; however, years ago I had pressure sensors under the mattress that reported the in/out of bed status for me and my wife. They were connected to an Insteon IOlink device but anything that could get a switch closure into Indigo would work. I haven't used that in years so don't have the link at the moment, the sensors were pads that went under the bedsheets and used in hospitals or similar to tell if a patient got out of bed. I found them online somewhere. The pads worked well, I do remember having to program a... debounce delay... to ignore ummm, non sleeping activities. ;-)

Terry

Yes, the pressure sensor connected to a Fibaro module would be a good addition, there are different ones on Amazon... I need to find out if one is enough or if two would work better. And also take into account the non-sleeping activities, a 3 minutes timer maybe... :oops:

Posted on
Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:45 am
DomoPat offline

RogueProeliator wrote:
The pads worked well, I do remember having to program a... debounce delay... to ignore ummm, non sleeping activities. ;-)

Those of us with kids just assume you mean "kids bouncing on the bed despite being told 10,000,000 times to get in the damn bathtub". :)

Sleeping? That could be tough

Back to the original question, though, I think sleeping is a tough one... from just what I remember reading on the forums randomly over the years, I know many people are doing a bunch of combinations of things -- not one simple trigger. That is, perhaps lights out, no motion, TV not on, etc. One option you can do is have a button to press, but have a "backup" where in at some time if you haven't yet pressed the button it will automatically go to sleep mode unless disabled in some way.

This is similar to something I have planned out for our next vacation - if the alarm is unset at a certain time (meaning in-laws doing mail/feeding pets/etc. forgot to reset it) then it sends me a push notification with a button on the notification to arm the alarm. Perhaps you could do something similar either via some device on night stand, an Apple watch or some other device that is usually on you when you are awake.

Adam

You are right, the way to go must be on the combination of things, there cannot be a simple approach. Pressure pads, a button by the bed (also used to deactivate the sleeping mode if need be), and some other devices statuses could get me close to the solution.

Posted on
Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:51 am
DomoPat offline

Different Computers wrote:
Think hard about anything you always do before bed. Then see if there's a way for Indigo to detect that. Easiest example that comes to mind for me: putting your phone in a charger after 10PM. (Or whatever time works for you.)

This is actually pretty hard to make happen, depending on your level of comfort with the system getting it wrong. For example, if almost everyone is asleep, but someone is out late or up late, do you really want the whole house to be off and for it to react to the front door opening as if there was a burglar? How about if someone wakes up sick at 2 AM?

Just last night I crashed early and hard--so hard that the dog didn't get let out before bed, and she wasn't herded into the bedroom with me when I hit the bed. As a result, she stayed on a living room sofa, moving around enough that the "house quiets down after X time" trigger never fired. So at 5 am when I woke up momentarily, the whole house was still lit up like it was early evening.

So now I'm thinking about putting a vibration sensor or maybe a voltage monitor on my phone charger. Because even tired, I plugged in my phone before I started snoring.

Good idea, I always plug my phone just before going to bed, never noticed I could use that action ! that would add a strong indication, a plug module with power measurement might work for this. I have to try to find more gestures like this, I am going to observe the family every night to find more of these...

Posted on
Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:32 am
johnpolasek offline

Long before Alexia (and even Indigo; back in t he bad old X10sion days) , we had "goodnight" and "Good Morning" buttons on the palm pads sitting on the headboards of our beds... turned out we almost never used them once Indigo Touch let us start pulling up a control page to check/set everything more precisely, and I'm trying to remember where those palmpads got to once the IPhones showed up...

Posted on
Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:05 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

We have a button on a KeypadLinc right outside our bedroom to turn out all the lights - used every night, so if I were going to create a sleep mode that's probably where I'd trigger it (I don't really have a need for a "sleeping" mode).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:46 pm
Dewster35 offline

I have a sleeping mode that works if we have company or if we don't. I've tried the pressure thing, I've tried a cheap doorbell button wired to the externals on an triggerlinc/open close sensor that was rigged up under the bed... I've given up thinking about it and we either trigger it with alexa or with a wall button or our phones with the home remote widget. With a 2 and 4 year old, getting things any smarter than turning off the lights automatically when they leave a room becomes difficult.

Posted on
Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:37 pm
jltnol offline

I'm single so its a bit easier for me to make this happen. I just scheduled Indigo to do it every weeknight at 11:30. Additionally, I had a Insteon KPL go bad on me.. the dimmer part didn't work but everything else did, so I put it in their nifty stand alone box, put it by my bed, and so was able to manually trigger it from there... but only if the alarm was in the READY state. The bedside KPL was really cool, as I could a few more things from there as well.

Mornings were much easier.. AC temp change at 6:45, music on at 7:30, alarm off at 7:30, KPL Brightness turned up at 7:30, but ONLY if the alarm was not in AWAY mode.

Posted on
Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:13 pm
bkmar1192 offline

I combine the results from several motion sensors to check for lack of motion throughout my house after 10pm. If there is no motion throughout the house then I set the house awake variable to false. This variable then triggers several events.