[ANSWERED]: Turnning a toggle into a deterministic switch

Posted on
Sun May 01, 2016 12:46 pm
brianlloyd offline

[ANSWERED]: Turnning a toggle into a deterministic switch

I am slowly but surely getting a handle on my mixed Insteon/Z-Wave control. I just installed the Insteon 74551 garage door control and status kit. Everything works -- I can raise and lower the door and I have a variable with the current door state. All good.

But I hate toggles. I don't want to be part of the control system. I don't want to have to manually check the state of the door before activating the toggle to put the door in the state I want it. I want to be able to say, "Open the door," or, "Close the door." After all, I have a computer to monitor the state and determine what should be done. If I say, "close the door," and the door is already closed, it should just stay closed. Likewise for "open the door."

It seems to me that, ideally, I should be able to check state before executing an action. It would make it so simple to do. And I can do that in a trigger but, apparently, not an action.

So I am at a bit of a loss. This seems to me like such a basic function that I suspect what I want to do is already built into Indigo and I have just missed it. Can someone please point me to it? And if there is a way to check status in an action group, or to simulate a trigger from the UI in order to use a trigger more like an action group, then that would help too.

Thanks in advance.

Posted on
Sun May 01, 2016 1:08 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Turnning a toggle into a deterministic switch

Take a look at Perry's Cynical Behaviors plugin.

Perry The Cynic wrote:
A classic garage door control device that takes a door sensor and a dry contact wired to your garage door button and turns them into a standard Indigo relay device smart enough to get the 99% case right. Lets you say "close the garage door" and have it do the right thing. And it's smart enough to recognize when it's confused.

Posted on
Sun May 01, 2016 1:45 pm
brianlloyd offline

Re: [ANSWERED]: Turnning a toggle into a deterministic switc

Bingo! Thank you. I figured I was not the first person to run into this. Hmm, this seems like a candidate for an intrinsic feature.

Posted on
Mon May 02, 2016 9:15 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: [ANSWERED]: Turnning a toggle into a deterministic switc

In Indigo, switches are deterministic. I/O Lincs aren't switches - it's a generic I/O device which contains an input and an output. The two are independent of each other and function completely separately. You can use them together to create a single logical entity (a garage door or gate for instance), but that's just a logical implementation on top of a generic I/O device.

We have on our todo list adding a device type like a garage/gate that would get it's own controls.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1