Source for weather illuminance as trigger?

Posted on
Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:29 am
Different Computers offline

Source for weather illuminance as trigger?

I'm trying to set a variable for it being dark out even though it "isdaylight." But I can't find an exposed value in the NOAA Weather plugin for illuminance. Is there a better plugin? An option in that plugin I'm missing?

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Mon May 02, 2016 9:39 am
srkinard offline

Re: Source for weather illuminance as trigger?

I don't know of one that has that reading...since light an vary a lot in a short distance depending on cloud cover. Neither NOAA or WU that I have set up contain any variables for light.

I'm going to put together an Arduino unit and place it in a waterproof enclosure on the back porch, then run sensor wires out to a temp/humidity sensor, a rainfall sensor, a light sensor and possible a barometric pressure sensor.

That way I can create logic around "Is it raining?" and "How dark is it outside?" and so on.

The Arduino has a lot of pins usable, so might add a high-temp probe for the gas grill, a natural-gas sensor to detect leaks/burner out, maybe a meat temp probe...etc. Lots of ideas.

Posted on
Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:18 pm
mat offline

UV level is available in the WUnderground plugin

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Posted on
Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:03 am

Thanks for that tip!

Especially handy since I've come to realize that my Lux sensor is oversensitive.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:49 am
DaveL17 offline

mat wrote:
UV level is available in the WUnderground plugin

A note about using the UV level as a measure of illumination. The WUnderground API describes UV as:

Wunderground wrote:
About the UV Index
The UV Index is a forecast of the probable intensity of skin damaging ultraviolet radiation reaching the surface during the solar noon hour: 11:30-12:30 Local Standard Time, or 12:30-13:30 Local Daylight Time. The greater the UV Index is the greater the amount of skin damaging UV radiation. How much UV radiation is needed to actually damage one's skin is dependent on several factors. In general, the darker one's skin is — that is, the more melanin one has in his/her skin — the longer (or the more UV radiation) it takes to cause erythema (skin reddening).

So maybe a proxy for how clear the sky is predicted to be at Noon local, but not a good proxy for how sunny it is right now (unless now is Noon.)

Dave

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:32 pm

Yeah, it's a bit of a blunt measurement. I imagine it sits at a "1" from sunset to dawn.

Posted on
Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:38 pm
mat offline

The Wunderground app shows me the lux level from the local weather station two roads away, but it doesnt appear in the plugin - now that would be useful!

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Posted on
Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:45 pm
DaveL17 offline

mat wrote:
The Wunderground app shows me the lux level from the local weather station two roads away, but it doesnt appear in the plugin - now that would be useful!

I had to look that one up.

It seems that WUnderground does expose solar radiation in its API, reported as Watts per square meter (W/m^2) which isn't lux, but based on some cursory research it seems that it might be possible to convert it (but apparently not recommended).

What I can do, however, is expose the solar radiation variable in the plugin and folks could use that as their blunt instrument. This would be provided in a caveat emptor manner and would likely not be widely available.

I'll add that to the list for future updates.

Cheers,
Dave

Posted on
Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:20 pm

Please!

Posted on
Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:36 pm
mat offline

Thanks Dave. Interesting, as the app is reporting it as lux

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Posted on
Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:36 pm
johnpolasek offline

Of course if you've got a Z-stick on the system that's reasonably close to an an outside wall, you could spend the 50 bucks for one of the Aeon 4 in 1s that Indigo supports and ignore the motion while monitoring temperature and humidity as well as lux right in your own yard.

Posted on
Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:37 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

You could also look at Cynical Weather that calculates the orientation of the sun on any part of your house, pretty cool plugin. Not sure if it will help but I use it a little and it's a nice piece of code.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:47 pm
DaveL17 offline

mat wrote:
Thanks Dave. Interesting, as the app is reporting it as lux

It may be lux that they're reporting; WUnderground probably has people who are better at math than me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:49 pm
DaveL17 offline

johnpolasek wrote:
Of course if you've got a Z-stick on the system that's reasonably close to an an outside wall, you could spend the 50 bucks for one of the Aeon 4 in 1s that Indigo supports and ignore the motion while monitoring temperature and humidity as well as lux right in your own yard.

I use an Everspring light sensor that was probably about US$50, too. It's stable, but in my experience a bear to include (and resync when changing batteries.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 1