Motion controlled lights with manual override

Posted on
Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:24 pm
stuartcolman offline

Motion controlled lights with manual override

Hi,

I have a Fibaro Dimmer (FGD211) and a Fibaro Motion Sensor (FGMS001). I have the dimmer set to come on when motion is detected and the go off automatically after 3 minutes. This is all working fine, however sometimes I want to override the auto-off by using the manual switch attached to the dimmer.

So basically I have the devices in Indigo, I then have the Trigger set to switch the dimmer on when Device state changes to On (for the Motion Sensor), then auto-off after 3 minutes.

I have read on here that the Dimmer will send Scene 16 when it is switched manually. I can capture this and have a variable which stores a true or false for the override.

So my question is how can I change the auto-off from 3 minutes to 30 mins for instance? Once the 30 mins has expired I would like it to revert back to 3 mins.

Thanks

Stuart

Posted on
Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:08 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Motion controlled lights with manual override

So, you don't actually want to change the auto off probably. What you'd want to do is create a separate trigger that watches the variable (representing the scene on) and when it becomes true, then it would do a couple of things. First, it would remove the delayed actions in your original trigger (that automatically turns off the lights). That will effectively "cancel" the 3 minute auto-off.

You then want to do something else to make the lights go off after 30 minutes. There are a variety of options here. One is to create a 30 minute timer, and have the action be to start the timer. Then you'd create one more trigger to turn off the lights when the timer expires.

So, in summary, you have these pieces:

1. Trigger that fires when motion is detected, turns on light with auto-off of 3 minutes
  2. Trigger that receives the scene command from the switch and sets a variable (let's call it sceneState for example purposes)
  3. A 30 minute timer
  4. A trigger that turns off the light when the timer expires
  5. Trigger that watches sceneState, and when it becomes true (and IF the light in the first trigger is on), then it cancels the delayed action from the first trigger and starts the 30 minute timer

Depending on how you're catching #2 above, you might be able to skip the variable and combine the second and last trigger into one.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:35 pm
howartp offline

Number 3 and 5 could be combined into another 30 minute delayed action as well, couldn't they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:20 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Yeah, probably. As I said, lots of ways to do this... :D

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:13 pm
howartp offline

Let's combine them all into one simple action - "manually operate light switch upon entering or exiting the room"!

:-)

Posted on
Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:35 pm
andarv offline

I use it a lot like Jay described it.

1. Trigger on movement with a condition to check a variable "lampState" on/off/auto if it's auto it turns on for x min.

2. Trigger on zwave command sets variable "lampState" on/off

3. Trigger on movement keeps "lampState" variable as is for 30min then resets to auto.

This gives me motion detection on the lamps normally. If I want it on or off regardless of motion I use the lamp button. That keeps the desired state of the lamp as long as there is motion in the room every 30min. Then it reverts back to auto.

Skickat från min HTC One_M8 via Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:54 pm
stuartcolman offline

Thanks to everyone, I will give it a try and let you know how I get on.

By the way I have recently moved over from using Vera Lite, what a breath of fresh air Indigo is compared to the clunky interface of Vera. Really liking all of the additional features Indigo brings, and the speed of the zwave network now is amazing!

Posted on
Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:08 am
stuartcolman offline

So I gave this a go an used Jay's version, and it worked like a treat! I just need to iron out a few things, like adding to the timer action to reset the variable back to false once it completes, and then I'm done.

Thanks so much.

Posted on
Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:03 am
haavarda offline

Just to share my experience with motion sensor controlled lights. :)
If there is continuously high movement in front of the motion sensor, the sensor will never send the off command. And by that never "re-trigger".
I have motion controlled light in my kitchen and the results has been that the lights has gone off during dinner etc...

I have come up a control philosophy that is based on stopping the timer on motion, and restarting it when motion off is received. See more details below.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (15.23 KiB) Viewed 4617 times

Håvard

Posted on
Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:10 am
stuartcolman offline

Håvard,

Thanks for the logic overview, that looks to be the direction I'm heading in. I'm sort of half way there. But your info should help me get there a lot quicker.

Thanks

Stuart

Posted on
Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:14 am
haavarda offline

No problem, I am happy if I can help.

Håvard

Posted on
Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:14 pm
howartp offline

haavarda wrote:
If there is continuously high movement in front of the motion sensor, the sensor will never send the off command. And by that never "re-trigger".
I have motion controlled light in my kitchen and the results has been that the lights has gone off during dinner etc...

I have come up a control philosophy that is based on stopping the timer on motion, and restarting it when motion off is received. See more details below.

Cool, I have exactly that problem in the Kitchen and I haven't managed to solve it yet - will have a go with this now!

Posted on
Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:49 pm
haavarda offline

I hope you make it work.

Håvard

Posted on
Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:52 am
yassi offline

haavarda wrote:

Hi haavarda,

thx for the hint.

I'm tying to do something similar but in my office:
- turn light on when motion detected, if light< 10 lux (example), or dark, or whatever.
- keeps lights on as long as I am in the room (have to put the motion sensor behind me while working on computer)
- switch lights off when no motion at all is detected.

I have for the moment the variables "dark", "atHome" and I am not able to create a scene... :cry:

Is "AutoTurnedON" a variable in your case?

Can you help, pleaseß

Thx,
yassi

Posted on
Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:08 am
haavarda offline

Hi,

Yes AutoTurnedON is a variable I have defined. If you are unfamiliar with this then you should check out the Indigo 6 documentation, it is well described there.
http://wiki.indigodomo.com/doku.php?id=indigo_6_documentation:getting_started

Håvard