[ANSWERED]: Indigo device states not changed by the Hub

Posted on
Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:58 pm
Davepl offline

[ANSWERED]: Indigo device states not changed by the Hub

I know the Hub is an abomination and isn't supported - but there's one thing that I'm hoping can be solved.

My problem is that I have Triggers and Action Groups bound to the state of a switch; turn it on, a bunch of stuff happens. Turn if off, same deal. If you do it manually at the switch, all works well. If you do it manually in the Indigo UI, it also works.

However it does NOT work when the device state is changed by the Insteon Hub. I'm not even sure how they made that possible (normally ever state change does a broadcast). Does anyone know if there's a way to configure things so that the Insteon device broadcasts its state change even if it's initiated by the Hub? The fact that it works from the button on the switch but not when set by the Hub has me stymied.

Thanks!
Dave

Posted on
Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:36 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Indigo doesn't log when a device state is changed by the

Yeah, this is an unfortunate limitation. The state updating Indigo does is actually a bit of black magic. Most INSTEON module don't actually broadcast out status updates, but instead Indigo listens to all the individual INSTEON commands modules send then it uses its own awareness of the INSTEON links it has (from syncing with devices) to know when a device likely turned on (because of a link to a controlling module that was pressed). But Indigo doesn't track the hub's commands at all (it doesn't know what links it has), so it isn't possible for it to automatically update states in that case.

The only solution really is to poll the status (manually send status requests as part of a repeating schedule) to the modules you really want to track. Be careful though as too much INSTEON traffic will result in reliability issues.

Posted on
Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:38 am
Davepl offline

Re: [ANSWERED]: Indigo device states not changed by the Hub

Can someone suggest (a) how often to poll, and (b) give me the nickel description of how to do it? Brevity is fine, just a quick overview.

Posted on
Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:02 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: [ANSWERED]: Indigo device states not changed by the Hub

Davepl wrote:
(a) how often to poll

As long apart as possible. Your specific scenario will dictate how often that needs to be. Too much Insteon traffic will cause problems.

Davepl wrote:
(b) give me the nickel description of how to do it? Brevity is fine, just a quick overview.

A simple Schedule that runs for your selected polling period that sends a status request to the device.,

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1