{SOLVED] Using X10 triggers to execute Insteon commands

Posted on
Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:24 pm
nclemmons offline

{SOLVED] Using X10 triggers to execute Insteon commands

I have migrated from x10 to Insteon devices. But I still have several x10 keypads on tables.

I'd like to use these keypads which have 8 locations, on, off, bright, dim, all on, all off buttons.

So I want to be able to trigger something like:

When the E1 x10 command is pressed On, turn on the Insteon based family room lamp.

I've done this in Indigo - running version 6.0.13 with a Smarthome PLM via USB on a Mac Mini.

But I can't get any response. I see no log of x10 commands showing up in the log file on Indigo. And the Insteon command does not execute.

Ideally, I'd have 16 of these triggers - one for each button for both on and off x10 sensing to trigger a corresponding Insteon command.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

neil
Last edited by nclemmons on Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted on
Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:59 pm
ELWOOD offline

Re: Using X10 triggers to execute Insteon commands

neil
I have been doing this for years and it works well. Have used the x-10 keypads to fire triggers. Also have been able to get triggers fired from
Ademco/Honywell Vista Alarm panels. The vista panels can be programed to send x-10 signals for most of the panels conditions which can than
fire triggers in indigo.
However I have had trouble with the insteon power link modems over the years. The insteon part of the modem keeps working fine but it stops
sending and receiving the x-10 signals. Since you are not seeing the x-10 in the logs you probably have a bad power link.

I would try a new one.

Hope this helps

Elwood

Posted on
Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:32 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

nclemmons wrote:
I have migrated from x10 to Insteon devices. But I still have several x10 keypads on tables.

I'd like to use these keypads which have 8 locations, on, off, bright, dim, all on, all off buttons.

So I want to be able to trigger something like:

When the E1 x10 command is pressed On, turn on the Insteon based family room lamp.

I've done this in Indigo - running version 6.0.13 with a Smarthome PLM via USB on a Mac Mini.

But I can't get any response. I see no log of x10 commands showing up in the log file on Indigo. And the Insteon command does not execute.

Ideally, I'd have 16 of these triggers - one for each button for both on and off x10 sensing to trigger a corresponding Insteon command.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

neil

Silly question perhaps - are they plugged in or battery powered?

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:40 am
nclemmons offline

Jay - They are 110v powered keypads - going back to x10 at RadioShack days.

Elwood - Thanks, I may have to upgrade the Powerlinc PLM.

Any other thoughts from the forum?

Neil

Posted on
Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:06 pm
nclemmons offline

I ordered a replacement PLM. I kept getting a disconnected message and was resetting it several times.

Must be a faulty unit. So I'll replace tomorrow and see if that fixes the triggers.

Thanks for the feedback.

neil

Posted on
Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:43 pm
ckeyes888 offline

I use quite of few of the X10 PalmPads as well and have found the W800RF receiver to be much faster
and more reliable than any PLM I've tried.

Just my 2¢.

Carl

Posted on
Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:35 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I agree 110% with Carl on the W800RF32.

Just a note that it only receives X10 RF commands and not X10 power line commands. This makes it much faster (instantaneous versus 1 or 2 second delay), but means only PalmPad, keyfob, and other battery operated modules will be received by it. If you are using a X10 MaxiController then the command has to get to Indigo over the power line.

Posted on
Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:48 pm
nclemmons offline

Replacement USB PLM arrived today and now I get triggered responses to x10 commands.

I have both x10 wired keypad and the keychain wireless X10 remotes and both work fine for me.

Appreciate the suggestion.

Thanks -

neil

Page 1 of 1