PowerLinc failure to connect

Posted on
Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:19 am
flitedocnm offline

PowerLinc failure to connect

Indigo server v7.1.1 is running on a Mac Mini that's only a couple of years old, and has always worked fine. OS is Sierra (*not* High Sierra) with the current updates. PowerLinc 2413U v1.B has been incredibly reliable since I bought it several years ago, until just recently. The first time I got a connection failure a couple of weeks ago, I rebooted the Mac Mini and changed the USB port, and that worked. Today, I had disconnected my system to do some rearranging, and on hooking it back up, I again had a PowerLinc failure. But this time, nothing I've tried has worked, including changing to a different USB port on the MacMini and rebooting. Pressing the set button on the PowerLinc doesn't do anything, and the PowerLinc LED is NOT lighting when the device is plugged in (I don't remember if it lit before).

I'm wondering if my PowerLinc has simply died and I need to order a new one. My automated lighting system is an essential part of my home security, so I really need to get this working.

Thanks much for any suggestions,

Steve

Posted on
Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:00 am
rehafer offline

Re: PowerLinc failure to connect

I’m no expert, but I’ve had PowerLincs die on me and your description sounds familiar.
I have an extra PowerLinc, new in the box, sitting on a shelf waiting for the current one to fail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:47 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Yeah, the LED on the side should be lit. If not, it's likely failed.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:55 pm
flitedocnm offline

Thanks. Is there a better option for linking to an Insteon network? Looking on insteon.com and smarthome.com, both market the 2413U (which I have now), and the 2413S, for the same price. I'm not sure I understand the difference between the two. I'm guessing that the best (only?) choice is still the 2413U?

Posted on
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:19 pm
rehafer offline

S is for Serial, U for USB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:54 pm
jon offline

I'm on powerlink #3 now; number 2 died a lot like that a month or two ago. In my experience the expected lifetime of any Insteon module is about 3 years.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:08 pm
flitedocnm offline

Yep, my PowerLinc is 3 years old. I've ordered a new one.

Appreciate the replies! If for some reason that doesn't fix my problem, I'll be back! :?

(I'll also note parenthetically that over the years, I've had lots of Insteon module failures. The worst was the Insteon LED bulb. That lasted barely a year. If I had to do it all over again, I'd switch to Z-wave, but of course, that has significant limitations in signal sensing over even short distances, as I discovered when I added Z-wave to an apartment. So, for now, I'll suck up and pay Smartlabs. Too bad that after all this time, the quality hasn't improved.)

Steve

Posted on
Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:08 am
Spinnell offline

I've gone through several of these. It always seems to happen after the warranty period is up, and Smarthome always wants "proof" of the date of purchase. Funny, I've got an account with them, have for years and they have records of my purchases - but I'm required to provide proof of purchase. The symptoms always seem to be similar to what I've read here; they have USB issues and initially I can "reboot" the boxes and my Mac Mini, but eventually they give up the ghost. I think it must be inferior components on the boxes as I've read that they use minimal sized components and aren't durable.

I have a fob PowerLinc as a backup, because I rely on my home automation and need to know that it is working. The fob isn't the best answer as it is only radio, not AC connected and can potentially be less responsive than the normal, plug in type. But it's a backup and will allow me to continue with my home automaton until I can buy the next plug in module, which will eventually fail - guaranteed..

Stan

Page 1 of 1