Status updates

Posted on
Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:41 pm
thedon offline

Status updates

I was wondering if Indigo has any restrictions showing device status on Z-wave network... say a light switch.. within a few seconds. I know some other brands do not show till polled depending on brand... (vera comes to mind, if you don't use right Z-wave switch it doesn't show status)
Really irritating if so, in example, come into a room and manually turn on the light physically but your software doesn't show it being on for another 2 minutes, and you can't set to poll every 5 seconds or your network may get congested.

THANKS

Posted on
Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:32 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Status updates

This is because of an old patent issue. Some modules don't broadcast anything. Other modules work around the issue by sending out a message that doesn't include the status details when they are locally controlled. In those cases Indigo will detect that and immediately poll out the new status. That doesn't work with all modules, so really how well it works depends on the module type.

Posted on
Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:48 pm
thedon offline

Thanks Matt! Any I should stay away from? I know Indigo supports those modules but I would want something that does broadcast or are they all good now?

Posted on
Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:45 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I'm not sure but maybe other can chime in – it has been a long time since I've purchased any Z-Wave switches. I believe most of the ones that broadcast out status updates are marketed/advertised as such since it is a pretty big selling point.

Posted on
Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:20 pm
thedon offline

Thanks everyone

Page 1 of 1