Got a weird one for ya - Insteon 2245 as remote reflector?

Posted on
Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:32 pm
tornado offline

Got a weird one for ya - Insteon 2245 as remote reflector?

Hey everyone,

Got a weird one for you - so here's my situation. I have a gate that is ~ 350' from my house. At the gate I have an I/O linc which works..... maybe 40% of the time. Detecting NO, sending a command to open the gate. It's been frustrating to say the least. I've tried everything I can to "improve" this situation and have come up short. I just think the distance is too great.

Now after realizing I had cat5e running out to the gate, I have been doing some testing and if I keep the speed of that line at 10Mbit I can get a solid connection to the gate. This unfortunately doesn't help me with my I/O linc as it doesn't have an ethernet port on it to remotely control it.

So that made me wonder - is there any way I can use an Insteon 2245-222 Central Controller Hub on the gate side to have it help "control" the gate when signals are attempting to be sent to the I/O linc? I see you can pick these hubs up pretty cheaply now. If not, is there some other way that I haven't thought of that might utilize an ethernet port to help me get control over that I/O linc out there? I'd hate to have to resort to using something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005J7MPMK/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A34JWT04R7KMFW
...to control the gate, since the I/O Linc works so well (in my garage for example)

Thanks in advance.

Posted on
Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:50 pm
roussell offline

Re: Got a weird one for ya - Insteon 2245 as remote reflecto

Since you have Ethernet out there, you could could use a device like this:

viewtopic.php?f=133&t=17890

The hub won't help you with repeating the house Insteon signal from the power line. It would work standalone, and you can even send html messages to it's open port to control it FROM Indigo, but updating the status back into Indigo will take a bit of code. Personally, I'd investigate an Ethernet relay like what is mentioned in the linked thread above.

Terry

Posted on
Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:09 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I agree with Terry - using some kind of ethernet-enabled relay device would be better.

350' is a long way, but have you tried using wires in the Cat5 to connect to the gate controller and the I/O Linc at the other (house) end? May not work, but if it does then you don't need to spend any more $.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:35 pm
tornado offline

Somehow I missed these replies before I ended up doing what I did :shock:

I ended up putting a Raspberry Pi out there with a relay board, which ended up working for me.

Thanks for the suggestions. I did have the I/O linc already hardwired to the gate controller at the gate. But having the Insteon make it out to the gate over the power line was iffy most of the time. Think I'm good to go!

Page 1 of 1