Best Door/Window Sensor for Indigo?

Posted on
Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:47 am
biswasg offline
Posts: 21
Joined: Aug 28, 2017
Location: Geneva, Switzerland

Best Door/Window Sensor for Indigo?

Four of my Fibaro Door/Window sensors stopped working after the first battery change at the end of the first year or so.
Various attempts at reviving them with fresh batteries to try the inclusion/exclusion process have been fruitless. I have decided to replace them with new ones.
I am looking for advice based on actual usage experience for non-Fibaro Door/Window sensor compatible with Indigo.
I would prefer
1. Long battery life or rechargeable and easy replacement of batteries
2. Small size
3. Preferably also report on temperature
4. Good value for money.

Posted on
Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:52 am
DaveL17 offline
User avatar
Posts: 3424
Joined: Aug 20, 2013

Re: Best Door/Window Sensor for Indigo?

You will get mixed reports on the Sensative Strips window/door sensor, but my experience with them has been good. I found the device difficult to sync with Indigo (this is due to the device and not Indigo itself). But once it was successfully included, it has been operating flawlessly and still reports 100% battery life (I don't recall exactly when I installed it, but it might be 5 or 6 months ago). Obviously, it doesn't report temperature.

I have a Fibaro window/door sensor that goes through a set of batteries every 2 weeks and I'm planning to take it out (permanently) today. In this particular case, I won't replace it and will rely on the MyQ Door Opener plugin.

Posted on
Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:08 am
biswasg offline
Posts: 21
Joined: Aug 28, 2017
Location: Geneva, Switzerland

Re: Best Door/Window Sensor for Indigo?

DaveL17 wrote:
You will get mixed reports on the Sensative Strips window/door sensor, but my experience with them has been good. I found the device difficult to sync with Indigo (this is due to the device and not Indigo itself). But once it was successfully included, it has been operating flawlessly and still reports 100% battery life (I don't recall exactly when I installed it, but it might be 5 or 6 months ago). Obviously, it doesn't report temperature.

I have a Fibaro window/door sensor that goes through a set of batteries every 2 weeks and I'm planning to take it out (permanently) today. In this particular case, I won't replace it and will rely on the MyQ Door Opener plugin.


Thanks for your reply. Incidentally, I have a Sensative Strip. I never managed to include it in my previous Vera network, but it was a breeze including in the Indigo network. Unfortunately, I lost the small magnet strip which is supposed to be placed agains the sensor for closing the loop. I believe any adhesive magnetic strip will work. Yes, the battery status is still 100%.

I am intrigued and interested with your MyQ Door Opener plugin (without a sensor!). I could not find it in your list of plugins. Still in development, I guess.

Posted on
Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:41 am
DaveL17 offline
User avatar
Posts: 3424
Joined: Aug 20, 2013

Re: Best Door/Window Sensor for Indigo?

biswasg wrote:
I am intrigued and interested with your MyQ Door Opener plugin (without a sensor!). I could not find it in your list of plugins. Still in development, I guess.

That's one of FlyingDiver's plugins: viewforum.php?f=214

It works with select garage door openers from Chamberlain.

Posted on
Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:12 am
FlyingDiver offline
Posts: 1805
Joined: Jun 07, 2014
Location: Cape Coral, FL

Re: Best Door/Window Sensor for Indigo?

DaveL17 wrote:
It works with select garage door openers from Chamberlain.


Chamberlain, Liftmaster, some Craftsman.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:12 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin
User avatar
Posts: 13353
Joined: Mar 19, 2008
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: Best Door/Window Sensor for Indigo?

+1 on the MyQ plugin - I love it. Add a sensor for instant open/closed status and it's great.

My one little nit: I wouldn't have implemented it as a lock device since I think it's more door-like than lock-like, but that's just an implementation detail.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:05 am
FlyingDiver offline
Posts: 1805
Joined: Jun 07, 2014
Location: Cape Coral, FL

Re: Best Door/Window Sensor for Indigo?

jay (support) wrote:
My one little nit: I wouldn't have implemented it as a lock device since I think it's more door-like than lock-like, but that's just an implementation detail.


Submit a feature request via Github. I'll change it as soon as Indigo has an open/close device ;)

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:20 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin
User avatar
Posts: 18068
Joined: Jan 27, 2003
Location: Texas

Re: Best Door/Window Sensor for Indigo?

:D Yeah, we definitely have plans to add open/close sensors (input only: door/window, etc.) as well as open/close actionable types (window coverings, garage doors, etc.). Some of the work is done, but not enough to enable it.

Image

Posted on
Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:59 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin
User avatar
Posts: 13353
Joined: Mar 19, 2008
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: Best Door/Window Sensor for Indigo?

FlyingDiver wrote:
I'll change it as soon as Indigo has an open/close device ;)


It's there - and called a relay device. Supports both binary status AND actions to change that binary status... :lol:

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:09 pm
FlyingDiver offline
Posts: 1805
Joined: Jun 07, 2014
Location: Cape Coral, FL

Re: Best Door/Window Sensor for Indigo?

jay (support) wrote:
FlyingDiver wrote:
I'll change it as soon as Indigo has an open/close device ;)


It's there - and called a relay device. Supports both binary status AND actions to change that binary status... :lol:


So is an open door "on" or "off"?

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:59 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin
User avatar
Posts: 13353
Joined: Mar 19, 2008
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: Best Door/Window Sensor for Indigo?

on=open, off=closed (that's how door sensors do it anyway). So, from a security perspective, ON means bad, OFF means good. For the UI one can use the uiValue to make it open/close/whatever.

Not perfect and we do want to make it better, but the pattern has been there for a long time in Indigo so people are likely somewhat used to it.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:55 pm
howartp offline
Posts: 2902
Joined: Jan 09, 2014
Location: West Yorkshire, UK

Re: Best Door/Window Sensor for Indigo?

I use Adapters plugin to turn On/Off to Open/Closed or vice versa as desired.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:33 am
Sevilsivle offline
Posts: 71
Joined: Jan 11, 2013

Re: Best Door/Window Sensor for Indigo?

Same issue with shutters.
It can get confusing as they also have only an on/off state.
On/Off - Open/Closed - Up/Down

Page 1 of 1

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests