"Send Failed" Notification

Posted on
Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:55 pm
HFTobeason offline

"Send Failed" Notification

I am too stupid to figure out how to test if an Indigo command to a device has resulted in a "send failed" log entry. Obviously, I'd like to resend the command if it has failed. This must be easy. TIA for any help.

Posted on
Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:55 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: "Send Failed" Notification

Actually, you don't want to resend. Insteon (and Z-Wave) have retries built in to the protocol. So if you're seeing those errors it's after the message has been retried several times. This is indicative of a network stability issue and you should spend your time trying to diagnose that.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:33 am
johnpolasek offline

jay (support) wrote:
Actually, you don't want to resend. Insteon (and Z-Wave) have retries built in to the protocol. So if you're seeing those errors it's after the message has been retried several times. This is indicative of a network stability issue and you should spend your time trying to diagnose that.

I don't want to necessarily retry the send, just KNOW that the state change may not have occurred so I can do SOMETHING (check circuit breaker, replace batteries, manually turn on a remote light or lock a door, etc) without having to sweep the log ... especially if the send failure comes during a scheduled or triggered event; I'd really like to be able to get a push if the greenhouse heater didn't ACK when the temperature dropped below 38.

Posted on
Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:35 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

The SQL Logger plugin provides an event that can be used in a trigger. It's not super granular WRT the types of errors it catches, but because errors generally shouldn't be happening unless there's something wrong it's a reasonable notification method.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:21 pm
johnpolasek offline

Thanks for the advice... one question (that maybe I should ask in the linked forum as well) is How much of the error string am I allowed to use for "generic" Insteon errors.... for example can I use the entire
    Error "Katies Holiday tree"
(plucked from this mornings log when the schedule to turn off a bunch of stuff triggered at sunrise; and that appliancelinc is now packed away in the attic but I was too lazy to pull it out of all the schedules it's in or disable it's comm)...

string to catch JUST the errors from that specfic device, or am I limited to just
    Error

which will catch EVERY insteon error?

Posted on
Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:20 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Log messages are divided into two parts - the type, which in your case is "Error" and the message itself. The trigger only filters on the type, so you can't filter on the device name. This is what I meant when I said it's not super granular.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:14 am
krissh offline

My plugin has support for such triggers for z-wave devices.

Page 1 of 1