Security with Indigo

Posted on
Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:57 pm
johnpolasek offline

Re: Security with Indigo

Fxguy wrote:
PIR motion sensors are a lot more selective, and for vehicles, buried mag sensors are the only way to go if you've got dogs, cats, deer, and so forth also roaming around.

So do you have the PIR sensor trigger the camera to record then? Also got my Pi today and working on getting it setup for Beacon.

Correct; Using Berts Plugins->Security camera to capture 1 second interval images from all my external security cameras(and incidentally shrink the hires images to the point where Prism doesn'tt complain about serving them to a refreshing URL) . When the Driveway sensor trips, I call record Driveway camera on that camera to save the last 30 images, wait 30 seconds and record again. This gets me 30 1 second images before the sensor trips and another 30 1 second images after it does (catching folks coming or going). I have a Pi near each door and when any door opens while no tiles are present, I wait 15 seconds, then record whatever camera is covering that door, which gets me 15 seconds before and 15 seconds after... all immediately pushed over to Lyle's house via a script.

Posted on
Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:08 am
Fxguy offline

kw123 wrote:
Could you point me in the right direction for setting up PiBeacon and the use of Beacons in general ?

http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=187

start with reading #
piBeacon: 1- how does it work, read me first
piBeacon: 2- creating the SSD and configuring the rPi
then download ssd and plugin from here:
piBeacon: 3- presence monitoring download

biggest step is setting up a raspberry. once connected to network you need to tell the plugin the IPnumber and and userid/password.. 99% of there rest is handled by the plugin.

Karl

Karl - I followed the steps in the readings and got the raspberry setup, then walked through telling the plugin the IPnumber and userid/password. However, I'm not seeing any beacon devices listed in the beacon folder in Indigo. My iPhone should work as a beacon correct? Or do I need to download a beacon app to use my iPhone as a beacon?

Thanks for the help!

Posted on
Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:18 am
Fxguy offline

johnpolasek wrote:
Correct; Using Berts Plugins->Security camera to capture 1 second interval images from all my external security cameras(and incidentally shrink the hires images to the point where Prism doesn'tt complain about serving them to a refreshing URL) . When the Driveway sensor trips, I call record Driveway camera on that camera to save the last 30 images, wait 30 seconds and record again. This gets me 30 1 second images before the sensor trips and another 30 1 second images after it does (catching folks coming or going). I have a Pi near each door and when any door opens while no tiles are present, I wait 15 seconds, then record whatever camera is covering that door, which gets me 15 seconds before and 15 seconds after... all immediately pushed over to Lyle's house via a script.

Very nice! A little more advanced in the programming and setup than what I've done so far, but I understand the logic. Just need to get some time to figure out how to capture the images with my particular model camera.

Posted on
Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:38 am
kw123 offline

Fxguy wrote:
kw123 wrote:
Could you point me in the right direction for setting up PiBeacon and the use of Beacons in general ?

http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=187

start with reading #
piBeacon: 1- how does it work, read me first
piBeacon: 2- creating the SSD and configuring

Karl - I followed the steps in the readings and got the raspberry setup, then walked through telling the plugin the IPnumber and userid/password. However, I'm not seeing any beacon devices listed in the beacon folder in Indigo. My iPhone should work as a beacon correct? Or do I need to download a beacon app to use my iPhone as a beacon?

Thanks for the help!

No the iPhone does not send ibeacon signals by default. You need to load an app
But you can use a bleconnect device to make the rpi "ping" the iPhone
Check out the bleconnect section how to set it up

If you don't see any beacons added something is wrong
send /reboot all programs config to rpi - in menu
Before Make sure the rpi is properly defined in initial basic setup menu

If that is done properly something should happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:46 am
kw123 offline

If you like I can get you over the first hurdle in a temviewer session. Just send me your login Id/passwd and we can schedule a session.

Posted on
Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:42 am
Fxguy offline

Karl -

if the iPhone doesn't work then I'm pretty sure that I don't have anything that can function as Beacon to test. I'm going to pick up a TILE on the way home from work today so I'll be able to properly test it out with a known working Beacon.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks!

Posted on
Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:45 am
kw123 offline

if you don't live far away from a street you should "see" ibeacons that drive or walk by ..
I have about >> 5k distinct ibeacons passing by my house a year . And I am not living next to a big road
.. that is why there is the option "do NOT accept new ibeacons" in config

Posted on
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:32 pm
Fxguy offline

OK, so I finally got it up and running. Seeing beacons in the folder now. So how do I tell which ones belong to me and which ones do not?

Also is there compatibility with TILE vs TILE Mate?

Heres a screenshot:

Posted on
Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:38 pm
kw123 offline

1 stop accepting new beacons in config
2 make a new folder e.g. BeAcons good
3 note the signal strength of each beacon
4 put one beacon on top of the rpi then after 90 secs check the sghnal strength again. The one which the biggest increase should be the on you put on the rpi. Now do the reverse. Put that beacon fare away.
Signal should go down. Move sure the beacon into the new folder and re-name it
Repeat with each of your beacons
Once all id-ed move the left overs into a folder beacon junk or delete them

All tiles work fine but you need to switch off the energy savings mode I recall.

All of above is divisors in the various threads. Just check them out.

Posted on
Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:28 am
Fxguy offline

Ok, stupid question... but how do I see the signal strength for each beacon? Is that available in Indigo in the plugin or does it have to be seen on the pi?

Posted on
Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:44 am
johnpolasek offline

It is one of the states in the device if you scroll the window down. You'll see the signal strength and estimated distance from each rPi listed if you have more than one running. Another technique that you can use if you are using tiles is to take them all outside somewhere or pull their batteries for a couple of minutes till they all expire and then bring them back one by one, watching for which one comes up. Starting the batteries individually was what I did when I got a batch of XY beacons (they were sold in 3 packs back when I was looking).

Posted on
Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:12 am
Fxguy offline

johnpolasek wrote:
It is one of the states in the device if you scroll the window down. You'll see the signal strength and estimated distance from each rPi listed if you have more than one running. Another technique that you can use if you are using tiles is to take them all outside somewhere or pull their batteries for a couple of minutes till they all expire and then bring them back one by one, watching for which one comes up. Starting the batteries individually was what I did when I got a batch of XY beacons (they were sold in 3 packs back when I was looking).

Ok found it but still don't think the pi is seeing my TILE device. I had my TILE sitting directly on top of the pi and then checked the signals (all within -86 to -56) and then took my TILE upstairs as far as I could get it in the house and all but one of the devices listed have expired. The one that hasn't signal is now -26.

However, My Event Log shows that device connected even though I left with my keys for an hour and came back.

Also I ran Beacon Scanner on my Mac and I think I can say pretty sure that this proximity UUID is correct:

Because when I scan it is blank, then I click the TILE button twice so its beeping and I get the above UUID. Then I stop the tile and it disappears, so pretty certain that is correct, but doesn't match any of the UUID in Indigo.

Posted on
Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:56 am
siclark offline

To get a Tile to pair you need to unpair it from the Tile iOS app and possibly delete the app. I got mine connected and working but then even with 3 Pis around the house it kept dropping out and getting lots of false triggers of leaving. I think I need a few more to get reliable whole house coverage.
In the meantime I have disabled it and just using the Home Remote geofences to set switches in Indigo.

More generally, for anyone in the UK, I can highly recommend Texecom alarms. Ultra reliable alarms in their own right (supposed to be professional only install) with the plugin we get full control of them as well.

Posted on
Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:36 am
Fxguy offline

Does anyone have the TILE Mate that can confirm it works? Wondering if there is a difference between the TILE and the TILE Mate. I'll try to disconnect and delete the TILE app. In the meantime I ordered the XY3 Find It and they work beautifully with the app and with the Pi. It picks us up as soon as we pull into the driveway.

The question I have now is how do I set it to trigger when we come home?

I go to set a new trigger in indigo and select pi Beacon Event. But then under events I see Family-ALL HOME and Family-ALL Away and the same for one device. How does the plugin handle this? Want to set up a trigger basically if we are gone (ALL Family AWAY) and then come home (ALL Family HOME) turn on the living room lights if its after sunset. Only want it to do this when we've been gone. So how often does it check the variable?

One other question, I noticed the XY Find It has a status of Expired this morning (we've not been anywhere or touched our keys in 14+ hours). Is there a way to keep it in status UP without having to press the button to activate it?

Now that I have the Pi Beacon working and the Beacons confirmed, trying to figure out some of the finer points / bugs/ technicalities of function.

Thanks!

Posted on
Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:31 am
johnpolasek offline

You might want to move this discussion over to the Pibeacon forum since it's becoming fairly specific to that plugin... But (here in the US) I originally used the original XYs and then siwtched to some cheap larger devices called MagicFinders that I can pick up at our local office supply store. As long as I don't link them to the MagicFinder App on my IPhone, they stay up until the batteries die (about every 6 months) and are pretty much visible to at least 2 of my 4 Pis (1 by each door and one in the back closet that's also doing GPIO duty on all the door and window switches the original builder put in without ever attaching them to a security system) any time I am on the porch or in the house. Once I get out into the yard, they drop pretty quickly. I find each new beacon by powering it up and immediately renaming it. As soon as I actually give it to somebody, i set it to be a family beacon or a "Group" beacon (friends who commonly check on the house and feed the dogs while we are away) And I set up triggers on the Family and Group variables changing (become > 0, or = 0). As best as I can tell those variables update within seconds of the beacon entering or leaving the area. And I have done a bit of scripting so that for the family beacons, any time one of them becomes NOT expired, it finds the closest Pi and unlocks that specific door, Which means that whenever a family member gets home, they are usually on the porch or the patio or walking up to the side door where we park when the appropriate door unlocks, even if someone else is home and has unlocked a different door.