Reproducible Hang when selecting multiple devices

Posted on
Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:46 am
Different Computers offline

Reproducible Hang when selecting multiple devices

I've tried this in three different Device folders. Two related to the UniFiAP plugin, and in the DEVICES non-folder.

If I select all (which is the only way to get a count of the devices aside from doing it manually) the Indigo client hangs with a beach ball. Not sure if this ever ends, but it lasts at least 30 seconds and that was the end of my patience before force quitting the client.

Doesn't happen in other folders not related to Devices.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:28 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Reproducible Hang when selecting multiple devices

Can you give us the exact steps you're taking? And perhaps a screenshot once the beachball starts spinning?

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:04 am

I7 running as typical. I was using the client on the server machine so all local. Though I just tried on my MacBook connecting remotely (though on the same LAN) and same effect.

Go to a folder in DEVICES. Click any device to select. Command-A to Select All. Beachball. Just now tried it without force quitting immediately and the client remains unresponsive for > 1.5 minutes.

The screenshot is from the MacBook. MB and sever running 10.12.x.

Oh and let me add that this is hardly high priority. Only reason I needed to select all was to compare the number of devices in two UniFi folders. Can't imagine why else I (or anyone else) would ever need to do this.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-06-11 at 11.58.33 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-06-11 at 11.58.33 AM.png (482.08 KiB) Viewed 1828 times

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:59 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

We have a few reports of this problem. It occurs when trying to select (and sometimes when trying to show a popup menu) elements that are being changed/updated frequently such that they update while the selection process is occurring. When there are not a lot of devices (or other elements) or if they aren't being updated frequently, it isn't a problem. But the macOS hangs inside the UI framework (Cocoa) if things are being updated fast enough that it starts to get behind on the updates.

I have on my ToDo list to improve this, but it is a bit tricky because we don't know how much we need to throttle the updates to prevent the problem since it is dependent on lots of variables: number of objects, frequency of updates, speed of the Mac, etc.. The good news I guess is that it is just a UI / client problem and the Indigo Server keeps on running fine in the background. 8)

Posted on
Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:23 pm

Indeed, I don't notice any other issues. The server actions seem unaffected.

Thanks for the info!

Posted on
Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:48 pm
kw123 offline

It works fine if you do it on the indigo server box not on a remote indigo client.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:15 pm

As I stated, it does NOT work fine for me on the local box.

Page 1 of 1