Getting status from Fibaro Switch

Posted on
Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:20 am
MarcoGT offline

Hi all,

at my parents' house I installed a Fibaro Switch to control the garage door.
I use this diagram and it works fine:

As you can see, the S1 and S2 switch are not connected; basically it is acting as a push button.
The problem is that I do not get status ON/OFF; how can I get the status? Maybe there is a parameter which I do not know. I have a Fibaro Door sensor but it is somehow not reliable.

Bye,
Marco

Posted on
Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:28 am
MarcoGT offline

Re: Getting status from Fibaro Switch

Sorry, forgot one think; I do not get the status if I open/close the garage door using the remote control of the motor or the wall switch that was already there.

Posted on
Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:33 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Is that diagram from Vesternet? I'm not sure exactly how that is supposed to work. With it wired like that if you have Indigo toggle the relay momentarily does the garage open/close? For Indigo to get notification that the switch state was pressed or changed on the FGS212 I think it is going to have to be wired to S1/S2. But really if what you are after is the open/close state of the garage door then you need another sensor that tracks the garage door's position. I'm not sure, but maybe you could use S2 for that which I think Indigo will reflect via the 2nd device it creates for the FGS212.

Posted on
Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:47 pm
MarcoGT offline

Yes, it is from Vesternet.
If I open the garage via Indigo, I think (unfortunately cannot try that right now) I get the status update, but if I open it via wall switch, no chance, status is not updated
And how should I connect S2?

Thanks
Marco

Posted on
Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:04 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I'm really not sure. I don't have that module and don't have any personal experience with it. I also don't know what type of sensor you have connected to your garage door to determine if it is open/closed. If it is a magnetic reed switch, then you could try connecting that to S2.

Posted on
Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:10 pm
MarcoGT offline

As read sensor I have the Fibaro Window/Door sensor.
The problem is that it is not very reliable. I thought because of distance from Z-Wave Controller, but now having the Fibaro Switch nearby it should be better because as far as I know the switch should act also as a repeater, or am I wrong?

M

Posted on
Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:51 am
howartp offline

http://www.vesternet.com/resources/appl ... /apnt-124/

The article is assuming the door controller takes a momentary push to operate the door, either fully open or fully closed depending on state. By setting the modules parameter to auto off after it's operated, the module behaves as a momentary push.

If you remove the manual switch, you could track the state of the garage by toggling a variable as the only way of operating the door is through Indigo.

Alternatively, wire the manual switch across I and S1. This will make the switch operate the module (and thus the door) but the auto-off will turn it off again for you. This also allows you to track status by variable as above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:21 pm
MarcoGT offline

Hi howartp,

Yes, point is that I would like to keep the push button that is already present, let's say as backup solution.
So, now the manual switch goes to I, shall I bring a wire also to S1, so having at the end a bridge between I and S1.

As you can see from the image, now I have two wires going from manual push button till dinaro. Shall one of the ALSO go to S1?
Or you mean just wire S1 and I?

But, the garage door can also be opened using a standard remote control...I do not know if Fibaro gets informed.

EDIT: just tried with S1 and a IN and it does not work. When the push button is pressed, the door does not open.

Thanks

Posted on
Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:57 am
howartp offline

Hi Marco.

Sorry for delay in replying - despite acknowledging your PM and saying I would!

GarageDoorControl (Small).jpg
GarageDoorControl (Small).jpg (25 KiB) Viewed 3446 times

Without knowing your door controller, it's difficult to say exactly, but I'd be trying this.

The extra switch (which can be out the way somewhere) and green dotted cabling is optional - without it, you are relying on the Fibaro switch having working power and behaving itself as the existing switch is now operating the Fibaro, NOT the garage door. The Fibaro is then operating the garage door whenever it receives an input on S1 (the existing switch) or whenever Zwave tells it to. If you add the green dotted switch, you regain local control of the garage door even when Fibaro is not active.

Peter

Posted on
Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:41 pm
MarcoGT offline

Unfortunately this is not working :(

Posted on
Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:44 pm
Colly offline

Hi Marco,

Try this, I think it will work for you. The external switch will give command to Fibaro S1 input. This will make the circuit between IN and Q and Open/Close the door. Make sure to set S1 as a momentary switch. If you toggle the Fibaro device from Indigo it will also make the circuit between IN and Q and Open/Close the door as applicable. Hopefully my understanding is correct on this.
Image002.jpg
Image002.jpg (16.91 KiB) Viewed 3353 times

Posted on
Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:02 am
howartp offline

That's exactly the same as my diagram...?

Marco, have you managed to find the model of your controller then we can have a look?

Posted on
Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:01 am
Colly offline

Hi howartp,

Maybe I got confused by your additional switch (I can't see it working at all). I'm assuming the + is on the top side of the momentary switch, if so then the switch with green dotted lines will only have power when the "Main" momentary switch is pressed.

With the other part of your drawing it is the same as mine (realise that now) and should work as you originally suggested. :D

Posted on
Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:45 am
howartp offline

I should have explained better.

The additional switch is a bypass switch, only used when Indigo/Fibaro is out of action.

Turning it on (and leaving it on) for the period Indigo is off, allows you to use the momentary switch to open/close the door as normal.

Posted on
Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:03 am
Colly offline

I'm with you now!