Interior door sensor (and connected switch)

Posted on
Sun May 01, 2016 7:09 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Interior door sensor (and connected switch)

I need to set up sensors on some closet doors to control the light in the closet. I see both Insteon and Z-wave devices that will work. Any preferences?

An Insteon 2843-222 sensor with 2477S switch should work. Or possibly an Ecowave DWZWAVE2-ECO sensor (or Aeon DSB29-ZWUS) with GoControl WS15Z-1 switch. The Z-wave stuff is slightly cheaper than the Insteon.

I think I'd prefer if there was a direct link between the devices, rather than depending on Indigo events to turn the light on. But I do want to be able to monitor the state of the door from Indigo. I think this is easier with Insteon than Z-wave, but I don't really know. The only Z-wave devices I have right now are sensors, no switches.

Thanks!

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Mon May 02, 2016 9:43 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Interior door sensor (and connected switch)

Directly linking devices in Z-Wave is definitely more hit or miss than with Insteon since some don't support the necessary associations.

I prefer the Insteon Hidden Door Sensor along with the 2477S (and in fact just installed one in my brother's house in a pantry) and they work exceptionally well.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon May 02, 2016 9:57 am
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Interior door sensor (and connected switch)

These are actually double door closets and I'm not sure I want to install the hidden sensor in the outer part of the door. I can't put it on the jamb side since that only works with one of the doors. So I was going to mount the two parts of the other sensor at the top of the two doors in the middle. Opening either door should activate the light.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Page 1 of 1