Detect contact closures?

Posted on
Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:52 pm
jmiked offline

Detect contact closures?

Is there any device to detect contact closures that will work with Indigo? I have several switches activated by magnets and I'd like to be able to trigger events based on the open/closed status of those switches.

Posted on
Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:41 am
howartp offline

Re: Detect contact closures?

http://www.vesternet.com/z-wave-fibaro-universal-sensor

2 volt-free inputs.

I'm not sure whether it's supported in Indigo but I'd be surprised if not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:54 am
Vangelis offline

Assuming these door contacts are linked to an alarm. Check if it is IP enabled or has RS232 etc capability. You could hook into Indigo that way.

Ref Howartp - Fibaros Universal Sensors require power and would convert signal to ZWave. You would also need a ZWave bridge to pick these signals up for Indigo

Vangelis

Posted on
Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:43 am
durosity offline

The universal sensors do work with indigo and they also work in a "parasitic" fashion, so if you can't link your alarm (assuming it is an alarm) to indigo then you can install the universal sensor to read the open/closed state without interfering with the alarm system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:38 am
jmiked offline

Vangelis wrote:
Assuming these door contacts are linked to an alarm.

They are linked to an alarm for the next week or so. Then it's going to be wires dangling from a hole in the wall. I'm getting rid of my old alarm system with wired sensors, but thought I might do something with the leftover magnets/switches that are in the doors.

Posted on
Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:45 am
FlyingDiver offline

jmiked wrote:
Vangelis wrote:
Assuming these door contacts are linked to an alarm.

They are linked to an alarm for the next week or so. Then it's going to be wires dangling from a hole in the wall. I'm getting rid of my old alarm system with wired sensors, but thought I might do something with the leftover magnets/switches that are in the doors.

Depending on how many you have of them, it might be cheaper to install a simple alarm panel that has plugin support for Indigo rather than use a bunch of stand alone contact closure devices. The alarm doesn't have to be monitored by an alarm company to be useful.

What system do you have installed now? Do you own it or does the monitoring company?

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:07 am
jmiked offline

I have a 20-year-old ADT system installed now. It's being replaced by a cellular/wireless system from another company. Based on other people I know that have moved or discontinued ADT service of that age, ADT didn't even want the system back. Even if they did, I doubt they would remove all the wiring for the door sensors and such. I was thinking that surely I could tie those sensors into Indigo and do something with them. If I can't easily or inexpensively do it, it's no loss.

Posted on
Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:18 am
FlyingDiver offline

jmiked wrote:
I have a 20-year-old ADT system installed now. It's being replaced by a cellular/wireless system from another company. Based on other people I know that have moved or discontinued ADT service of that age, ADT didn't even want the system back. Even if they did, I doubt they would remove all the wiring for the door sensors and such. I was thinking that surely I could tie those sensors into Indigo and do something with them. If I can't easily or inexpensively do it, it's no loss.

You can almost certainly do it. It's just a question of how. It would actually be better to use the existing sensors (if in good shape) for the new system. Wired contact sensors are better than wireless ones. No batteries to deal with. Is the new system you're getting compatible with Indigo? Is there a plugin for it?

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:56 am
kw123 offline

I am using an arduino to indigo to read 10 sensor contacts on my 20 year old alarm system. It is in place for 2 years now without any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:23 am
berkinet offline

FlyingDiver wrote:
jmiked wrote:

You can almost certainly do it. It's just a question of how. It would actually be better to use the existing sensors (if in good shape) for the new system. Wired contact sensors are better than wireless ones. No batteries to deal with. Is the new system you're getting compatible with Indigo? Is there a plugin for it?

You can certainly do what you want with your wired sensors. Wireless sensors (if you have any) will require the central control panel and will become useless... Well, some may work with the RFXCOM receiver. But, that is a whole different story.

You might look at EasyDAQ, Phidgets, Arduino, Raspberry-Pi and others. Take a look at the Indigo plugin list to see which general purpose I/O boards are supported

Posted on
Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:02 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Also there are I/O Lincs and EZIO Insteon devices as well, depending on what technology you want to use.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:26 pm
berkinet offline

jay (support) wrote:
Also there are I/O Lincs and EZIO Insteon devices as well, depending on what technology you want to use.

As Jay makes clear, there are LOTS of options. I would guess in your case the issue is going to be density - how many digital inputs (contact closures) you will want to monitor. For a small number (<7) something simple like the EZIO makes sense. For more inputs, you will probably want to look at products like the Phidgets 16 input card or the EasyDAQ cards with up ton 96 inputs. You will also need to think about how your digital n interface board will connect to your Indigo Mac. The easiest is via a network, but that will limit your choices. USB is quite common, but it complicates the connection to Indigo unless yourMac is next to the old alarm termination.

So, I'd suggest: decide on direct USB (or possibly serial with a serial to USB converter) or IP/Ethernet/Wi-Fi. Then determine how many contacts you want to monitor. Post back here and someone, can certainly make some specific recommendations.

Posted on
Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:44 pm
johnpolasek offline

berkinet wrote:
jay (support) wrote:

As Jay makes clear, there are LOTS of options. I would guess in your case the issue is going to be density - how many digital inputs (contact closures) you will want to monitor. For a small number (<7) something simple like the EZIO makes sense. For more inputs, you will probably want to look at products like the Phidgets 16 input card or the EasyDAQ cards with up ton 96 inputs. You will also need to think about how your digital n interface board will connect to your Indigo Mac. The easiest is via a network, but that will limit your choices. USB is quite common, but it complicates the connection to Indigo unless yourMac is next to the old alarm termination.

So, I'd suggest: decide on direct USB (or possibly serial with a serial to USB converter) or IP/Ethernet/Wi-Fi. Then determine how many contacts you want to monitor. Post back here and someone, can certainly make some specific recommendations.

I'm getting ready to look into the Raspberry Pi plugin... I ordered up a Pi 3 last week to use for presence detection, but noticed that it supports a couple of dozen digital inputs that the plugin can read as well. The house I bought a couple of years ago was built 11 years ago and I noticed that the builder had pulled 22 gage wire pairs from every door and window through the attic to a wall in the master bedroom closet, although they weren't brought through the wall. The former owner said they were for a security system but he never followed up on it. Given the tech available in the early 2000s, I suspect that there are magnetic reed switches in place, and all I would need to do would be to tie them into the Pi to detect opens on all 4 doors and all 17 windows.

Page 1 of 1