Concept of scene controller

Posted on
Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:52 am
Gusten offline

Concept of scene controller

Hi

Can someone explain how you set up an scene controller? Tried to find info in the manual, but i cant find anything on that.

Does a scene controller pop up like a device and you use the device as a trigger or do you enter in the device what scenes to trigger?

I supose a scene in Indigo is an action Group, correct?

What do i use as referens to an actiongroup if i should make the scenetrigger trigger that actiongroup.

Thanx

/Martin

Posted on
Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:57 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Concept of scene controller

A scene can be represented in a variety of ways in Indigo. As you state, an Action Group can be used to create a scene. If you have a scene that needs an on/off state, you can use a Device Group device.

Activating a scene is done based on the approach you took to define it: if it's an Action Group, then you just execute the action group from your Trigger, Schedule, Control Page, etc. If you use a Device Group, then you just turn ON/OFF the scene just like any other on/off device - again, from your Trigger, Schedule, or Control Page.

I highly recommend reading through the first 3 topics at the top of the documentation landing page - it will give you a firm understanding of the basics of Indigo.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:17 pm
Gusten offline

Thanx Jay

I think you missunderstud my question.

I understand the basic functions, but the devicetype scene controller i like to understand how it works.

With scenecontroller i mean zwave remote or zwave light switch (the button)

/Martin

Posted on
Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:24 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

So, are you asking how to specify a trigger to fire when a button is pressed?

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:00 am
Gusten offline

Hi

Yes, but if its so easy that you can find every button as a tigger, then i know how to.

When i look in supported devices for example Merten Double Switch Controller it says

"Button 1 is associated to group 1 and button 2 to group 3"

What does the differnt Group meens. and how do associations work?

/Martin

Posted on
Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:20 am
johnpolasek offline

The in scene CONTROLLERS are Insteon devices that send signals to the "group" or "scene" when something external happens; a button is pushed, movement or door open or leak is detected in the case of sensors, etc. and when that control signal reaches the group, all the Insteon RESPONDERS do whatever the scene has been programmed to make them do; lights or fans can turn on, brighten or dim, speed up or slow down, etc. Note that sometimes a device can be both a controller and a responder; I have 4 different buttons on 4 different keypadlincs (who's buttons light up when on) all controllers for my living room light. They are all both controllers and responders so that when any button is pressed to turn the light on or off, all the others change the same way. And in Indigo, triggers and schedules and scripts allow that scene to be "triggered" externally in more creative ways such as using a control page icon or the "away from home" schedule that makes the house look occupied in the evenings when I am away...

Posted on
Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:26 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Gusten wrote:
Yes, but if its so easy that you can find every button as a tigger, then i know how to.

Correct.

Gusten wrote:
When i look in supported devices for example Merten Double Switch Controller it says

"Button 1 is associated to group 1 and button 2 to group 3"

What does the differnt Group meens. and how do associations work?

To create a trigger that fires when button 1 is pressed, you'll select group 1 in the trigger dialog. For button 2, you'll select group 3. Associations allow you to directly link a Z-Wave controller to a Z-Wave device (so that it doesn't require Indigo in-between). You can just ignore it.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Page 1 of 1