A Gas FirePlace Wall Switch

Posted on
Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:14 am
lorin offline

A Gas FirePlace Wall Switch

I have a gas fireplace that can be turned on or off with a wall switch. When I took apart the wall switch there is simply two wires coming into it with what appears to be thermostat cabling. I was hoping just to use an Insteon on/off switch, but I'm guessing it's not running 110V across those wires. Anyone ever run into this or have any ideas? Thanks.

Posted on
Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:43 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: A Gas FirePlace Wall Switch

I suspect it's just a simple contact closure. I believe others here on the forums are using various I/O devices (like an I/O Linc) to control those gas fireplaces.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:54 pm
akimball offline

I use an IOLinc for my gas fireplace. The fireplace voltage is 24VAC. Use a meter to make sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Al

Posted on
Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:33 pm
lorin offline

Thanks, I will get out my meter and check it out. I didn't think of using an IOLinc, that is a good idea. Thanks again.

Posted on
Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:02 pm
akimball offline

Yeah the max voltage of iolinc contacts is 30VDC or 30VAC. My install is a little more complex because I sometimes use the Greatroom fireplace for heat and it is also controllable using a heatalator remote thermostat. The gas fireplace in the master bedroom is exclusively controlled using a Nest thermostat....no iolinc. Gas fire pits and a pair of gas torches in the back yard are controlled using an EZIO8T which is great for multiple IO channels of 24VAC.

-Al

Posted on
Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:18 pm
zini offline

Good information. I was wondering how to link up my fireplace, which has the same setup. I'll be checking out the IOLinc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark

Page 1 of 1