Best Dimmer/Relays, Roller Shutter and Sensors

Posted on
Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:51 pm
RageDoctor offline

Best Dimmer/Relays, Roller Shutter and Sensors

Hey Folks,

I have played around with Indigo 6 (love it!) and my z-wave devices. I am pretty impressed and looking forward to my new home which will be a smart one (hopefully). However, before jumping into my smart home automation, I have to decide which devices to use. Indigo 6, my old Mac Book Pro as server and the Gen5 stick are set. I am pretty much a fanboy of FIBARO products. Nice looking devices as I like them. But I haven't tried any other manufacturer of z-wave devices. Unfortunately, Aeon LabsMotionSensor 6 is not yet supported :wink:

So, what devices and brand do you suggest for (devices which I have tried in brackets) in terms of reliability, performance and price:

1) Sensors
Motion, Temperature, Light intensity (FIBARO Motion Sensor FGMS-001)
Door/Window (FIBARO Door/Windows Sensor FGK-101)
Outside / Weather (not yet tested)

2) Roller Shutter
Not yet tested

3) Dimmers/Relais
Dimmer (FIBAOR Dimmer 2 FIBEFGD-212)
Relay with (FIBARO Relay Switch 2x1,5kW FGS-221)

You help would be much appreciated as I am planning to order the devices soon.

Best regards,
Marcus

Every beginning is hard...
Software: Indigo 6.1.4
Controller: Z-Stick Gen 5
Devices: Fibaro Wall Plug, Motion Sensor and Door/Window Sensor, Aeon Labs MultiSensor 6, more to come...

Posted on
Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:29 pm
petematheson offline

Re: Best Dimmer/Relays, Roller Shutter and Sensors

Not much to add to the thread here, except I opted for door / window monitoring via my alarm system (DSC)
This means I can use them all as alarm sensors, but also trigger via Indigo through the Envisalink module (this connects into the DSC Alarm) which pushes through all of the alarm motion sensors / door contacts etc.. as usable devices in Indigo. For my system they're also cheaper (£22'ish each)

I ended up using Fibaro dimmers everywhere for my lights since I don't have a neutral wired through my house. I just have to remember to set the option to disable dimming on bulbs that can't dim.

Posted on
Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:37 pm
RageDoctor offline

Thanks petematheson!

What z-wave products are you talking about? I am not familiar with DSC.

Any experience with roller shutters? Is FIBARO also here a good choice?

Every beginning is hard...
Software: Indigo 6.1.4
Controller: Z-Stick Gen 5
Devices: Fibaro Wall Plug, Motion Sensor and Door/Window Sensor, Aeon Labs MultiSensor 6, more to come...

Posted on
Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:13 pm
howartp offline

DSC is an Alarm system (not Zwave) that a few UK Indigo users use, though I believe it's also available in the US. There's a plugin that a DSC Envisalink module talks to over IP (or there's a serial equivalent) that lets you use any zones/sensors/alarm states as inputs to Indigo.

I also use Fibaro motion sensors and mains-wired plug sockets, plus TKB plug-in mains sockets where I haven't yet rewired.

Not used roller shutters/blinds yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 1