LED Landscape Lighting Causing Interference?

Posted on
Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:22 pm
ticotice offline

LED Landscape Lighting Causing Interference?

Anyone having trouble with 12V AC landscape lighting (using LED bulbs) causing interference with wireless Insteon modules? I've been getting massive delays/no responses by my Insteon motion sensors when my landscape lights turn on at sunset. After swapping the halogens for LEDs, the motion sensors see the motion (flashing red LED) but their attempts to turn on /off my security flood lights are "blocked" or massively delayed.

Any ideas? :?:

Posted on
Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:48 am
Seeker offline

Re: LED Landscape Lighting Causing Interference?

I have noticed LED indoor bulbs causing general interference with over the air TV reception. I used an attic-mounted antenna. A couple of channels are blocky sometimes when lights are on. turn off leds and it is clear. I have about 10 led bulbs, but even turning 2-4 on will cause noticeable tv interference. I'm not sure what frequencies OTA hdtv uses, but there's definitely something there in my environment.

I don't use insteon but use zwave. i have not noticed any significant zwave issues.

Posted on
Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:10 am
DaveL17 offline

I just replaced my halogen landscape lights with these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CFA4VDU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1#. I use Z-Wave exclusively and have seen no interference. I have three banks of lights, each on its own power supply and each controlled by a Z-Wave outdoor module.

Dave

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:54 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Have you tried putting the landscape lights on a FilterLinc?

All my outside low voltage lighting using the old bulbs, but I've never had any trouble with my INSTEON gear with them.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:44 am
ticotice offline

Jay,

Haven't tried a FilterLinc on the landscape transformer yet. Also noticed that my garage door opener does not respond properly to wireless remote commands when the landscape lights are on. Will put a FilterLinc on the transformer tonight and see what happens!

BTW, which Z-wave motion sensor do you recommend?

JTice

Posted on
Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:53 pm
ticotice offline

jay (support) wrote:
Have you tried putting the landscape lights on a FilterLinc?

All my outside low voltage lighting using the old bulbs, but I've never had any trouble with my INSTEON gear with them.

Jay,

Tried the FilterLinc on my 2 landscape transformers and it made no difference. Did a little surfing to find this website: http://www.ledbenchmark.com/faq/LED-int ... ssues.html. Apparently the LEDs themselves emit enough RFI that it blocks my garage door opener remote from my car. This RFI must also be reducing the responsiveness of my Insteon motion sensors. Interesting that the largest RFI comes from an MR16 LED bulb. I have several of those as uprights on trees. Got more research to do on this issue!

Jeff

Posted on
Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:15 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Interesting...

And somewhat annoying...

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:30 pm
ticotice offline

jay (support) wrote:
Interesting...

And somewhat annoying...

Yes, absolutely annoying. When I turn off my landscape lighting and activate either my Insteon motion sensor or my garage door opener remote control, everything works perfectly. Quite obviously the landscape 12 volt AC LEDs are creating just enough RFI to prevent the RF signals from either the motion sensor or the garage door opener from getting through to their respective actuators. Not sure how to handle this, but I may have to swap to Z-wave Motion sensors and have them turn off the landscape lights temporarily so the garage door opener will work. Crazy scenario, but may it be the only way to get this to work properly! :?

Jeff

Posted on
Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:27 am
colinpartridge offline

The ledbenchmark article implies that some led units produce more rf than others, I would be inclined to try a different brand of led. It could also be just one rogue unit. One suggestion I saw was to put ferrite chokes on the power lines close to the light.

Colin

Posted on
Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:33 am
ticotice offline

colinpartridge wrote:
The ledbenchmark article implies that some led units produce more rf than others, I would be inclined to try a different brand of led. It could also be just one rogue unit. One suggestion I saw was to put ferrite chokes on the power lines close to the light.

Colin

Good idea to try ferrite chokes. I'll grab a few of those and see how it works. I've swapped out a few of my LED back to halogens attempting to isolate the most offending bulbs. However, it appears that the cumulative RFI from the 12 LEDs lining my driveway and near the front of my garage is causing the problem. Since it only occurs when the landscape lighting is on, I'm adjusting my habits to it. (Meaning, I have get out of my car at night to open the garage door!) :lol:

Posted on
Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:27 pm
DaveL17 offline

For my landscape lighting, I currently have three zones--that is, three "Malibu" transformers plugged into three GE outdoor Z-Wave modules. The setup works just fine, but it looks terrible. Big transformer and module hanging on the wall, with cords and cables dangling. Blech.

What I would like to do this spring is 12v distribution--install a 12v transformer centrally (at the breaker panel), and control it with one appliance module, smart switch, or some such Z-Wave device and then run 12v wire to the three zones. The load is small at about 18w, but I would like to add a few spots as well. I expect that a 60w transformer would be more than enough. Would make for a much simpler and cleaner install--and I'm guessing somewhat more efficient.

Has anyone done this? Are there any US electrical code considerations?

ps: relatedly, I've switched to these Philips LEDs: and they work great. They're somewhat expensive at $6 but I feel they're the cheaper alternative because I'm not replacing 1 or 2 lights per month like I was with a cheaper alternative. They only draw 1.2w. Love them.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Page 1 of 1