Anyone using RS485 over IP?

Posted on
Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:33 pm
howartp offline

Anyone using RS485 over IP?

I'm wanting to hook up my Aurora Power-One solar panel inverter to Indigo, but the first obstacle is getting RS485 from the loft to the Mac downstairs.

Anyone recommend an RS485 over IP device? I don't think the iTach RS232 devices do RS485 unless anyone can correct me on that.

(ps - Matt/Jay - is there a problem with the Support Devices > Energy Monitoring forum; I couldn't find a 'Post topic' button?)

Peter

Posted on
Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:53 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Anyone using RS485 over IP?

Hi Peter,

I don't have any suggestions on the RS485 hardware, but regarding:
howartp wrote:
Matt/Jay - is there a problem with the Support Devices > Energy Monitoring forum; I couldn't find a 'Post topic' button?

The Supported Hardware forum is moderated so we can create one forum thread for each device natively supported by Indigo (out-of-the-box). So this basic usage/device forum is a good place for this topic.

Posted on
Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:30 pm
wiery offline

I'd say the cheapest option is going to be a Raspberry Pi and have a web server on it to execute the commands remotely or via ssh from shell

Posted on
Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:01 pm
berkinet offline

wiery wrote:
I'd say the cheapest option is going to be a Raspberry Pi and have a web server on it to execute the commands remotely or via ssh from shell

if the Pi has RS485 suppot, then all you'd need to do is run some port forwarding software (ser2sock, ser2net, netcat, etc.) to the the serial port to a socket and then connect over a standard socket connection, or even telnet.

EDIT: check out http://www.dx.com/p/waveshare-rpi-rs485 ... CcYmt1XeK0
Last edited by berkinet on Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:06 pm
howartp offline

wiery wrote:

Hmmm, not looked at Raspberry's yet, other than virtualising Raspbian at work.

I'll ponder further.

Peter

Page 1 of 1