[ANSWERED]: Odd log entry for Z-Wave device

Posted on
Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:35 pm
berkinet offline

[ANSWERED]: Odd log entry for Z-Wave device

I am seeing the following pairs of log entries fairly frequently. But, definitely not continuously. Maybe 2 or three times an hours. But sometimes two times within a minute.

2014-06-16 22:18:26.876 Z-Wave Error send "Espresso Machine Power" status request failed

2014-06-16 22:18:26.877 Z-Wave received "Espresso Machine Power" status update is off
What I don't understand is why I get the status update immediately after getting the error that the status request failed. FYI, The device is set to poll As Often As Possible

Here is the device info...
Code: Select all
  Z-Wave                          Indigo Device "Espresso Machine Power" Z-Wave Properties:
Indigo Z-Wave Version: 1.0.232
Node ID: 6
Model: Appliance Module (AN157)
Model ID: 00040001
Manufacturer: Everspring
Manufacturer ID: 0060
Protocol Version: 2.64
Application Version: 1.02
Model Definition Version: 0
Library Type: 4
Class Name: Relay Power Switch
Class Hierarchy: 03 : 10 : 01
Command Class Base: 25
Command Versions: 20v1 25v1 86v1 27v1 72v1 73v1 75v1
Multi-Endpoint Types: - none -
Multi-Endpoint Classes: - none -
Multi-Instance Counts: - none -
Features: beaming
Neighbors: 1, 29
Associations: - none -
Config Values: - none -
...and the results of a device sync
  Z-Wave                          Syncing - started for device "Espresso Machine Power"
  Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved module neighbors list: 1, 29
  Z-Wave                          Syncing - requesting neighbor list update of "006 - Espresso Machine Power"
  Z-Wave                          Syncing - neighbor list update complete (no change)
  Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved manufacture and model names: Everspring - 0060, Appliance Module (AN157) - 00040001
  Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved protocol version 2.64, app version 1.02
  Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved class hierarchy: Slave : Relay Switch : Relay Power Switch (03 : 10 : 01, base 25)
  Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved command classes: 20v1 25v1 86v1 27v1 72v1 73v1 75v1
  Z-Wave                          Syncing - complete
  Z-Wave                          sent "Espresso Machine Power" status request

Posted on
Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:46 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Odd log entry for Z-Wave device

Sounds like it's timing out on the request, hence the error message. Then it actually does get the status update when it's no longer expecting one. The trick is going to be changing the timeout value.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:38 am
berkinet offline

Since it is Indigo rerouting the error, if it is a timing issue, the timeout would seem to be in Indigo, not the device. But, there is always a time delay of 1ms between the error being logged and the updates status log entry. Here is a series of messages that were just logged
2014-06-17 13:26:26.866   Z-Wave Error   send "Espresso Machine Power" status request failed
2014-06-17 13:26:26.867   Z-Wave   received "Espresso Machine Power" status update is off
2014-06-17 13:26:31.851   Z-Wave Error   send "Espresso Machine Power" status request failed
2014-06-17 13:26:31.852   Z-Wave   received "Espresso Machine Power" status update is off
2014-06-17 13:26:36.772   Z-Wave Error   send "Espresso Machine Power" status request failed
2014-06-17 13:26:36.773   Z-Wave   received "Espresso Machine Power" status update is off
All messages within 10 seconds and always a 1ms delay between the error and the status.

Posted on
Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:36 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

The problem is the status request message is failing to ACK, but it looks like the message is actually received by the module since it does then broadcast out state information. That is, the status request is a multiple message process. First Indigo sends the status request message (and reports error if that is NAK'd), then the module, after getting the request and ACKing it, sends out status information. In this case it is just the ACK that is failing. In a case like this (polling of status information), Indigo could be more lenient about reporting an error by checking if there is both a NAK and then a time period of N milliseconds with no status information. That would be ideal, but obviously is more involved than just increasing a timeout value.

Somewhat related, but why is it again that you are polling the status of this module with the As Often As Possible setting? Is it because you are controlling it from a module that Indigo cannot directly detect the button presses on? If so, what is the brand/model again for that module?

Posted on
Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:58 pm
berkinet offline

matt (support) wrote:
... the status request message is failing to ACK, but it looks like the message is actually received by the module since it does then broadcast out state information....
...Somewhat related, but why is it again that you are polling the status of this module with the As Often As Possible setting? Is it because you are controlling it from a module that Indigo cannot directly detect the button presses on? If so, what is the brand/model again for that module?

Thanks for the explanation of the timing that is taking place. Makes sense. You are correct on the reason for polling. The device I'd like to monitor is a wireless switch...
  Z-Wave                          Indigo Device "Espresso Switch" Z-Wave Properties:
Indigo Z-Wave Version: 1.0.232
Node ID: 24
Model: Portable Remote Controller
Model ID: 50020000
Manufacturer: Popp/Duwi
Manufacturer ID: 0064
Protocol Version: 0.00
Application Version: 0.00
Model Definition Version: 0
Library Type: 0
Class Name: Portable Remote Controller
Class Hierarchy: 01 : 01 : 01
Command Class Base: 00
Command Versions: 20v1 80v1 72v1 85v1
Multi-Endpoint Types: - none -
Multi-Endpoint Classes: - none -
Multi-Instance Counts: - none -
Features: battery, beaming
Neighbors: - none -
Associations: 1:[6, 1]
Config Values: - none -
But, other than letting me define it, the switch is transparent to Indigo

Posted on
Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:16 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I thought I remembered it being that module. Check your email -- we might have Indigo working better with that module now.

Posted on
Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:42 am
berkinet offline

matt (support) wrote:
I thought I remembered it being that module. Check your email -- we might have Indigo working better with that module now.

Well, thanks for the effort. In case anyone else was following this, the changes did not work.
offline matt (support) wrote:
...your module isn't reporting that it supports the Z-Wave Configuration commands, so Indigo isn't showing those options. I know there are versions of that module that do support those commands, but the one you have might not. It is a long shot, but here is a hacked version of the plugin that will show (and try to send) the config commands even though the module doesn't claim to support them: So you should see the UI in the edit settings dialog…
but, then offline matt (support) wrote:
...during the sync the module didn't respond to the param config commands to try to read the values. So it does look like that module does indeed *not* support those commands.

So, the long, and short, of this issue is older versions of the Popp/Düwi Remote Switch (ZME-6443) do not, at least at times, ACK status queries, even though they do respond.

Page 1 of 1