[ANSWERED]help on simple device turn on

Posted on
Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:04 pm
canoad56 offline

[ANSWERED]help on simple device turn on

Hi,
I am trying to make a pool bird alarm. I have a motion detector at the pool, and when its triggered I want to turn a sprinkler valve on. I bought a three prone appliance module from x10. Seems simple enough, right? Well in testing, the motion detector is working but not the appliance module. The basic setup is I have the two devices (motion detector, appliance module) and I turn on the trigger with an action group for on or off. the trigger then turns on the condition (sprinkler appliance module on, for a minute).

I made duplicates of devices and triggers and edited them for this task. When I look at Indigo main page the addresses of these two devices are wrong, but the motion detector works while the appliance module does not. What am I doing wrong? And why the wrong addresses. I have included a screen shot of the addresses in the attachment.

Thanks with any help
Alex
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-06-04 at 5.02.08 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-06-04 at 5.02.08 PM.png (263.05 KiB) Viewed 3069 times

Posted on
Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:38 pm
canoad56 offline

Re: help on simple device turn on

Could someone please try to give me some advice with this problem, the bird problem around my pool is really bad and I need this to work !!

Posted on
Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:45 am
kw123 offline

could you clarify: why did you duplicate the devices?

Posted on
Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:16 am
howartp offline

How much have you done with Indigo before now?

Delete the duplicate devices (not sure why you made them), edit the original devices and make sure the addresses are correct - that's something you set yourself, so if it's wrong, you need to change it.

Then manual turn on the sprinkler in Indigo - does the sprinkler come on? Turn it back off again.

Now get someone to walk in front of the motion sensor - does the sensor change in Indigo? (I think you said it does already)

Now try the trigger - does the sprinkler come on when you activate the motion sensor?

If not, screenshot the trigger pages for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:13 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I don't believe we have enough information: you've only included screenshots of the devices but not any information on the triggers. Please describe all parts of your solution and we can probably figure out what's not working.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:56 am
canoad56 offline

I do not know what else to put down in trying to explain my situation:

I've got two devices, a motion detector and an appliance module

I have the motion detector as the trigger, the appliance module is the action I want to take when the trigger is triggered, ie turn on the sprinkler valve. Nothing more simple than that.

The motion detector portion is working. I can walk in front and it will give me an alert and supposedly turn on the sprinkler but it does not. I have tried plugging in the appliance module at several different receptacles around the house because of what I read at the x10 website about having it connected on the same leg of the 120 v wiring, and still nothing.

I still think there is something wrong in Indigo because when the appliance module is supposed to be on, I do not see it in indigo. I cannot change its state from on to off and vis versa..

I can paste screen shots of how I configured the two devices, the triggers and the action group if that will help. here is the configuration for the appliance module, which is the one not working:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-06-15 at 8.50.08 AM.png
this is the action group to enable appliance module (sprinkler valve) when there is motion
Screen Shot 2014-06-15 at 8.50.08 AM.png (82.47 KiB) Viewed 2903 times
Screen Shot 2014-06-15 at 8.46.57 AM.png
this is the trigger to enable motion detector
Screen Shot 2014-06-15 at 8.46.57 AM.png (71.66 KiB) Viewed 2903 times
Screen Shot 2014-06-15 at 8.36.18 AM.png
this is configuration for device, appliance module
Screen Shot 2014-06-15 at 8.36.18 AM.png (73.17 KiB) Viewed 2903 times

Posted on
Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:59 am
howartp offline

Hi canoad56.

The problem you've got is your action is set to 'Enable Device' - you need to set it to 'Turn on device'.

Enabling/disabling a device is the same as ticking/unticking the first column on the Devices view; this stops a device from responding to any commands, such as when you are gardening, you might disable your garden sprinklers so you don't get wet if they are scheduled to come on three times per day.

Peter

Posted on
Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:08 pm
canoad56 offline

Thanks for the reply Peter, but there is no turn on device, just enable device. If you know where it says turn on device let me know because I cannot find it.

Posted on
Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:14 pm
canoad56 offline

Sorry Peter,

I was wrong, there is a turn on device. It first has to be "control light/appliance" then turn on. The thing is I tried it and still nothing.

Thanks for your response !!

Posted on
Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:19 pm
canoad56 offline

Peter,

That was it !! I just had to plug in the appliance module on another receptacle. Did that and its working.

Thanks Peter for your help, you are great !!!

Posted on
Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:06 pm
howartp offline

Great - glad to be of help.

Peter

Page 1 of 1