[SOLVED] Faulty SwitchLinc Dimmer?

Posted on
Sat May 24, 2014 5:57 pm
billshafer offline

[SOLVED] Faulty SwitchLinc Dimmer?

Using latest Indigo and controlled using PLM 2413U. I'm creating my main schedule ("sundown") to turn on & set brightness levels for various devices all over the house. I have a brand new (but purchased about 5 years ago & never installed until today) SwitchLinc dimmer on a spotlight fixture over the living room fireplace.

Whenever I include this device on the fireplace spot in the scene, then click "Execute Action Now" (or simply allow Indigo scheduler to activate the scene), all lights/devices in the scene come on, then 5 seconds later, turn off. If I delete the device from the scene, the scene plays properly (everything stays on as expected).

If I create a separate scene for only that single device, then activate the main scene, followed by the scene with only the SwitchLinc in question, all my devices get turned off the minute the suspect SwitchLinc turns on (and then off, of course).

Could I have a faulty SwitchLinc dimmer? The dimmer is in a 5-gang wiring box that includes another SwitchLinc Dimmer (which appears to be working properly, but not part of this "sundown" scene"), as well as a a SwitchLink "Relay" (on/off switch - not dimmer) which is also working properly.

Any thoughts as to what might be going on? BTW, the SwitchLinc Dimmer that is in question works fine when manually controlling it from either the paddle, or from my device list in Indigo 6. It's only when this device is remotely activated in this scene that it causes all the rest of my devices to come on, then turn off within about 5 seconds.

Thanks in advance!

Posted on
Sun May 25, 2014 8:28 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Faulty SwitchLinc Dimmer?

Hi Bill,

That is a really peculiar problem. I don't think I've ever heard of a malfunctioning module causing this type of behavior.

I would suggest factory resetting the SwitchLinc and re-syncing it with Indigo first. Note the factory reset is tricky to perform because the LED pipe has to go from pulled out to all the way pushed in and held, in one fluid motion.

If that doesn't help, then what does the Event Log show in all the cases you outlined above: scene with all modules (including new), scene with all modules but the new one, and a scene with just the new module?

Posted on
Sun May 25, 2014 9:04 am
billshafer offline

Re: Faulty SwitchLinc Dimmer?

Matt: I did a reset of the device in question. I've actually gotten sort of good at the reset process, as the first thing I did before installing my new PLM was to reset all my existing devices and start with a fresh install of Indigo, then set up all my devices new.

I've now added the device in question (post-reset) back into the scene (the "Formals Painting" device). Here is the event log when I execute my "Sunset" schedule:
May 25, 2014, 9:54:12 AM
Schedule Sunset
Sent INSTEON "Niche LEDs" on to 40
Sent INSTEON "Sofa Table" on to 45
Sent INSTEON "Office Cans" on to 45
Sent INSTEON "Library Lamps" on
Sent INSTEON "Parsons Table" on to 40
Sent INSTEON "Pool LED" on
Sent INSTEON "Spa LED" on
Sent INSTEON "Mike Vanity" on to 40
Sent INSTEON "Outdoor Sconce" on to 55
Sent INSTEON "Piano Uplight" on to 45
Sent INSTEON "Formals Painting" on to 40
Trigger All OFF
Sent INSTEON "Office Cans" off
Sent INSTEON "Pool LED" off
Sent INSTEON "Spa LED" off
Sent INSTEON "Sofa Table" off
Sent INSTEON "Niche LEDs" off
Sent INSTEON "Parsons Table" off
Sent INSTEON "Piano Uplight" off
Sent INSTEON "Library Lamps" off
Sent INSTEON "Formals Painting" off
Sent INSTEON "Outdoor Sconce" off
Sent INSTEON "Mike Vanity" off
Sent INSTEON "Formals Track" off
Sent INSTEON "Kitchen Island" off

Odd - somehow in the middle of this scene, the "scene" decides to execute a "Trigger" that I had created to turn all devices off!! I'm not sure if I understand the logic behind that behavior from Indigo. And why NOT having the device in question in the scene would NOT execute the "All OFF" trigger. VERY odd.

Suffice it to say, now that the "All OFF" trigger has been deleted, all my devices are performing as expected (staying on). Here is the new log:
May 25, 2014, 9:54:48 AM
Schedule Sunset
Sent INSTEON "Niche LEDs" on to 40
Sent INSTEON "Sofa Table" on to 45
Sent INSTEON "Office Cans" on to 45
Sent INSTEON "Library Lamps" on
Sent INSTEON "Parsons Table" on to 40
Sent INSTEON "Pool LED" on
Sent INSTEON "Spa LED" on
Sent INSTEON "Mike Vanity" on to 40
Sent INSTEON "Outdoor Sconce" on to 55
Sent INSTEON "Piano Uplight" on to 45
Sent INSTEON "Formals Painting" on to 40

Thanks for your suggestion on the reset (I **should** have known better & thought to do that before I wrote), as well as checking the Event Log.

Page 1 of 1