[ANSWERED](Virtual) Devices.

Posted on
Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:59 pm
marceltrapman offline

[ANSWERED](Virtual) Devices.

Hi,

Sometimes, particularly with virtual devices, I want to show a status as read-only.
Is that possible, now or in the near future?

Thanks!

Posted on
Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:40 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: (Virtual) Devices.

I'm not following you - can you be more specific?

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:40 am
marceltrapman offline

Hmm, I will try.

Right now I use a virtual device to show me a status based on a bunch of different device statuses.

But, when I click on it I can change how the status looks (on or off) but that does not reflect the true status.

Ergo, I would like that nothing happens when I click on the status.

Either in Indigo or Indigo Touch.

Is that a better explanation?

Posted on
Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:32 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Ah - yes, that clarifies nicely. At the moment the Device Group device type can always be controlled (sent on/off/toggle commands) because this device type is implemented as a standard On/Off (relay) device type. For obvious reasons, we have various places where On/Off devices can be controlled easily by the user (tapping on the icon in Indigo Touch toggles, etc). Perhaps a better name for this device type is On/Off Device Group (we'll consider changing the name).

I think what you're looking for is a Sensor Device Group - in that sensor devices just show sensor values but provide no user mechanism to change. I'll add that to the feature request list.

The easiest workaround is to just put the status of the group on a control page but with no associated actions to eliminate any accidental taps/clicks. And when using the other parts of the clients just avoid manually changing it... :D

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:03 pm
Seeker offline

Re: [ANSWERED](Virtual) Devices.

I didn't realize you could control devices by switching a device group. Really cool.

I have a few set up. 'inside lights', 'outside lights'. I have been using these as a check/indicator for if any light was on.

I also have 'any door' and 'any window' using the DSC plugin devices. the device group in this case is a sensor only, as there is no control associated with the devices or the device group.

Page 1 of 1