Secure HRT321 thermostat call for heat

Posted on
Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:22 am
colinpartridge offline

Secure HRT321 thermostat call for heat

I'm probably missing something obvious here or being dumb or both, but I'm trying to use the HRT321 thermostat to control an electric heater. I can see and adjust the set point temp and I can see the room temp in Indigo but Iwas expecting to see a state change when there is a "call for heat" Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Cheers
Colin

Posted on
Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:46 am
colinpartridge offline

Re: Secure HRT321 thermostat call for heat

Perhaps I'm asking the wrong question. Does the Secure HRT321(HRT4) send a "call for heat" message via Zwave? Maybe I don't have the dip switches set correctly.

Colin

Posted on
Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:37 am
autolog offline

Hi Colin,

I don't think it does. :|

For reference, my DIP switches are set as follows: 1 through 6 = off, 7 = on, 8= off. DIP Switch 1 is set on when including /excluding or if you need to to keep the device awake for 60 seconds via the Li (listen) command.

What you will get are triggers for the set point being changed or the temperature changing (you can alter the sensitivity of the temperature alerts via the device settings). So if either of those change, you could run an action to compare and you would know whether heat was required or not. :)

There are three associations set up by Indigo when you sync the device to point at the Z-Stick (device address 1):
  • Group 3 - Nodes to receive unsolicited Battery Level reports or Low Battery Warnings.
  • Group 4 - Nodes to receive Thermostat Set Point Reports.
  • Group 5 - Nodes to receive unsolicited Multilevel Sensor Reports.
Groups 1 & 2 aren't set-up and I think would normally be used to control another Z-Wave device when heating is being called for or not as the case may be:
  • Group 1 - Nodes controlled by Thermostat Mode SET command.
  • Group 2 - Nodes controlled by Binary Switch SET command.

What I am not certain of is that if you assigned the Z-Stick (device address 1) to Group 2 whether that would result in Indigo receiving the ON/Off command. Indigo probably wouldn't respond to it but you might be able to trap it via a Z-Wave trigger? It will probably need Matt to comment on this. :)

Posted on
Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:21 pm
colinpartridge offline

Thanks Jon for your reply. I was rather hoping that I could use the thermostats's TPI algorithm to control the heater. I am going to try direct association with a relay on group 1, then all I have to do is work out how to do the the Heat Setpoint schedule.
Cheers
Colin

Page 1 of 1