How to install Indigo in a Motorhome

Posted on
Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:57 am
auto_man offline

How to install Indigo in a Motorhome

I have a new motorhome in which I would like to install an Indigo server. I'd like to be able to control some devices in the motorhome, but also be able to remotely monitorf temperatures, motion and doors. I'm experienced at using Indigo in my house.

I'd be interested in knowing how others may have used Indigo in motorhomes or other recreational vehicles, and in particular what they use for a network in the RV, how they connect to the internet, what they use for an IP address, and how well connecting to the RV remotely works, using Indigo Touch or a client on a computer.

Posted on
Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:04 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Re: How to install Indigo in a Motorhome

This is a topic near and dear to me because I've "geeked out" my RV fairly extensively. In summary:

• RV's are a mix of 110v and 12v so your automation will be limited to the 110v only
  • Use Zwave battery operated motion sensors and the like for triggering but know that many of them are not outdoor friendly and unless you are storing your RV in a climate controlled storage facility then you may kill your devices during winter storage
  • Indigo on your computer with a Zstick brings it all together or you can get something portable for the RV like a Vera

Getting to the Internet is a whole different topic, I have every carrier on a pre-pay mobile hotspot and I look up who has the best service where I'm going and I'll buy my data plan in advance. I could use a Hughes satellite but that's super expensive and pretty slow. Proper planning keeps me online the entire trip unless I'm boon docking way out on BLM lands, then it's a bit harder but in those cases I'm trying to leave the grid behind anyway.

I would not run any 110v smart device off a generator and if you are going to this at all get a conditioner for your RV to put between your rig and the shore power because most RV hookups have super dirty power and will fry your stuff.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:28 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I agree - the networking part will most likely be the biggest issue. I no longer have an RV, but when I had a travel trailer I wrote this wiki article about using Indigo to create a security system for it. I used all Z-Wave since Insteon would likely fail spectacularly given the poor power quality (it did in my initial testing). I did have some Z-Wave plug-in wall warts on the inside and outside for lighting control as well and never had an issue, though C4W is right that power quality can be a huge issue.

Most RV parks (and some State Parks here in TX) have WiFi, but calling it WiFi is a bit like calling a 2400 baud modem fast Internet access. They generally suck very badly. I did for a time have a WiFi hotspot device for AT&T which would allow me to get at least a more consistent connection. This in turn would allow my reflector to work so I could monitor the TT while we weren't there.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:47 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

What he said :) .

I spend upwards of 3 months a year in my RV in a standard year so it's critical that I be able to work and live comfortably (and not have the wife kill me because turning on a light is too much trouble). I've been working/living like this for quite some time and doing the RV automation can be really challenging to dial in. You have to consider that you have, what, 5-10 circuits or lights that you want to control and is it worth many hours of trial and error to get it there? There is a lot more I can do if I choose but a few basic automations is enough for me. Having a Zwave motion sensor or three and a few light switches without a lot of HA programming is what works for me. At home, I need so much automation (need is a relative word), but on the road motion activated lights are mostly enough. I also don't want anything that relies on an Internet connection - not only because it can be hard to get sometimes but it's expensive too.

The Internet is a different story. Jay's spot on, an RV park WiFi is modem speeds if you can connect at all (which is mostly not). You really must have a hotspot to be able to use the Internet. For about $400 you can get one from all providers ( AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, T-Mobile and Virgin) and then pay $60 for 5GB of data on whomever you need for where you are going that trip - which lets me and my wife work remotely for a week and still have enough to stream movies too from our home Plex system at less than 4K quality. There are some good apps for iPhone and Android to tell you what cellular service works best in what area, I use these to figure out who to pre-purchase or, if it's in the air, I get there and fire up all my mobile hotspots to see who has the best signal and then call them right then and there to refill the data plan.

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:43 pm
auto_man offline

Thanks for the Reply’s so far, which are very helpful to get the brain thinking about all the possibilities. Keep the suggestions and experiences coming.

I’d be really interested to hear what and how users use to maintain an always on internet connection, and how Indigo Touch can be used to remotely access the Indigo server in the RV. What pieces of hardware in the RV are used to create the LAN, and what’s makes up the connection to the Internet/WAN.

Posted on
Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:08 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

If you have an always-on Internet connection then your RV setup would be the same as your home setup (because if you have always-on Internet you have constant power too).

Check Them Out Here

Page 1 of 1