What Mac software do you use?

Posted on
Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:52 pm
Turribeach offline

What Mac software do you use?

My 2007 MacMini is has had a wonderful 11 years run but while it's capable of running Indigo smoothly I have decided I am going to replace it with something better. I haven't decided what to buy but I am starting to plan and document all the Mac software I want to install on the new Mac which will not be restricted by Disk, CPU or RAM.

So far this is my list:

https://bjango.com/mac/istatmenus/ => CPU monitor
https://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper ... ption.html => Disk Cloning
https://brew.sh/ => Package Manager
https://www.bensoftware.com/securityspy/ => Cameras

Can you share or suggest what other software do you use in Mac either in relation to Indigo or the OS? Thanks!

Posted on
Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:01 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Re: What Mac software do you use?

You use the things I use as well as:
  • Airfoil
  • Weathersnoop
  • iTunes
  • Homebridge[/Buddy] (Because technically it IS a separate software program, albeit a tiny footprint)
  • IFTTT

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:09 pm
Different Computers offline

If I had more horsepower, I would probably run the excellent Security Camera plugin. I mention this because it's resource intensive. If you've already bought SecuritySpy, then no need for this. If you haven't, I suggest you evaluate it beforehand because it offers a LOT of SS's functionality for $0.

Considering adding a VPN server, but I might use a separate computer for that. Thinking I might make my VPN Mac the DMZ computer for my setup and I don't want Indigo on that box.

Plex works just fine on other hardware, but I can imagine that if I had the budget for buying whatever I wanted, I could run it on my Indigo Mac.

I second what C4W said about Airfoil (had it for 3 weeks, wish I had bought it a year ago!) and iTunes and HBB.

I run the no-ip.com DDNS update client too. But really, that's it on my Indigo Mac.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:42 pm
durosity offline

I run on mine:

Hardware Monitor
Plex
iTunes
Indigo
Home bridge (and buddy)
macOS server
SecuritySpy
Iflicks 2
Transmit FTP
Airfoil and satellite
Open DNS manager
Macs Fan Control
HandyPrint
VMware fusion
Home remote

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:05 am
Turribeach offline

Thanks for the answers. I do run a VPN server and Dynamic DNS client on my router which runs Asuswrt-Merlin.

Posted on
Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:34 am
siclark offline

For those that run your mac headless what do you use to access it? I started with TeamViewer, and now that I have another Mac I do use screen sharing, but there are times I need access from my phone so TeamViewer still gets used, and hence needs to be running,.

Posted on
Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:09 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

You can still use Screen Sharing outside the network, there are a number of apps that do VNC (which is what Screen Sharing is).

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:50 pm
Turribeach offline

siclark wrote:
For those that run your mac headless what do you use to access it? I started with TeamViewer, and now that I have another Mac I do use screen sharing, but there are times I need access from my phone so TeamViewer still gets used, and hence needs to be running,.

I use Screen Sharing from Mac to Mac and Splashtop for access from other devices or internet. I think opening a port for TeamViewer is an invitation for getting hacked, so I prefer something that calls the mothership and allows me to connect to it.

Posted on
Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:45 pm
siclark offline

I definitely haven't opened any ports for team viewer and my router is not upnp so pretty sure it's opened connections itself from inside my network.

However a vnc app would be lighter weight so will give that a go. Trying to save as much CPU for security spy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 1