What Mac software do you use?

Posted on
Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:52 pm
Turribeach offline

What Mac software do you use?

My 2007 MacMini is has had a wonderful 11 years run but while it's capable of running Indigo smoothly I have decided I am going to replace it with something better. I haven't decided what to buy but I am starting to plan and document all the Mac software I want to install on the new Mac which will not be restricted by Disk, CPU or RAM.

So far this is my list:

https://bjango.com/mac/istatmenus/ => CPU monitor
https://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper ... ption.html => Disk Cloning
https://brew.sh/ => Package Manager
https://www.bensoftware.com/securityspy/ => Cameras

Can you share or suggest what other software do you use in Mac either in relation to Indigo or the OS? Thanks!

Posted on
Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:01 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Re: What Mac software do you use?

You use the things I use as well as:
  • Airfoil
  • Weathersnoop
  • iTunes
  • Homebridge[/Buddy] (Because technically it IS a separate software program, albeit a tiny footprint)
  • IFTTT

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:09 pm
Different Computers offline

If I had more horsepower, I would probably run the excellent Security Camera plugin. I mention this because it's resource intensive. If you've already bought SecuritySpy, then no need for this. If you haven't, I suggest you evaluate it beforehand because it offers a LOT of SS's functionality for $0.

Considering adding a VPN server, but I might use a separate computer for that. Thinking I might make my VPN Mac the DMZ computer for my setup and I don't want Indigo on that box.

Plex works just fine on other hardware, but I can imagine that if I had the budget for buying whatever I wanted, I could run it on my Indigo Mac.

I second what C4W said about Airfoil (had it for 3 weeks, wish I had bought it a year ago!) and iTunes and HBB.

I run the no-ip.com DDNS update client too. But really, that's it on my Indigo Mac.

Sonoma on a Mac Mini M1 running Airfoil Pro, Bond Home, Camect, Roku Network Remote, Hue Lights, DomoPad, Adapters, Home Assistant Agent, HomeKitLinkSiri, EPS Smart Dimmer, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Grafana. UnifiAP

Posted on
Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:42 pm
durosity offline

I run on mine:

Hardware Monitor
Plex
iTunes
Indigo
Home bridge (and buddy)
macOS server
SecuritySpy
Iflicks 2
Transmit FTP
Airfoil and satellite
Open DNS manager
Macs Fan Control
HandyPrint
VMware fusion
Home remote

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:05 am
Turribeach offline

Thanks for the answers. I do run a VPN server and Dynamic DNS client on my router which runs Asuswrt-Merlin.

Posted on
Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:34 am
siclark offline

For those that run your mac headless what do you use to access it? I started with TeamViewer, and now that I have another Mac I do use screen sharing, but there are times I need access from my phone so TeamViewer still gets used, and hence needs to be running,.

Posted on
Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:09 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

You can still use Screen Sharing outside the network, there are a number of apps that do VNC (which is what Screen Sharing is).

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:50 pm
Turribeach offline

siclark wrote:
For those that run your mac headless what do you use to access it? I started with TeamViewer, and now that I have another Mac I do use screen sharing, but there are times I need access from my phone so TeamViewer still gets used, and hence needs to be running,.

I use Screen Sharing from Mac to Mac and Splashtop for access from other devices or internet. I think opening a port for TeamViewer is an invitation for getting hacked, so I prefer something that calls the mothership and allows me to connect to it.

Posted on
Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:45 pm
siclark offline

I definitely haven't opened any ports for team viewer and my router is not upnp so pretty sure it's opened connections itself from inside my network.

However a vnc app would be lighter weight so will give that a go. Trying to save as much CPU for security spy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 1