Fresh install: High Sierra or El Capitan?

Posted on
Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:24 pm
mundmc offline

Hey Matt and Jay,
I am doing a fresh OS install on a 2012 imac that needs updating.

In their wisdom, Apple has removed Sierra from the app store, leaving me the choice of El Capitan or High Sierra.

The machine is NOT mission critical... yet.

Do you foresee problems if I’m starting from scratch on High Sierra (e.g. fresh Indigo install, fresh os, fresh python, etc)?

A corollary: if “yes” to above, would it be helpful for me to give it a go and report back here?

Many thanks, as always.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:37 am
CliveS offline

Re: Fresh install: High Sierra or El Capitan?

If you need a copy of Sierra (which is not now showing on the App Store) then it can be found at either

https://geo.itunes.apple.com/us/app/mac ... 7414?mt=12
or
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/macos-s ... 7414?mt=12

which are the hidden App Store address's and if anyone does not have a local copy it may be worth grabbing it in case Apple remove it completely.

I made the error of installing High Sierra for Indigo and like a lot of others found it was not a good idea so reverted back to Sierra to find that it was not “openly” available in the App Store.

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:12 am
howartp offline

If you’ve previously downloaded (ie upgraded) to a particular version, ie Sierra, I believe it should be available in your “past purchases” area of the App Store even though it’s not viewable in the normal way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:30 am
CliveS offline

howartp wrote:
If you’ve previously downloaded (ie upgraded) to a particular version, ie Sierra, I believe it should be available in your “past purchases” area of the App Store even though it’s not viewable in the normal way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not with Sierra, loads of people complaining they can’t get to it. Apple have hidden Sierra but I can see El Capitan, Yosemite and Mavericks in my previous downloads.
Hence the links above.

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:36 am
norcoscia offline

Thanks for posting the links, CliveS, they worked great - I was so po'd about the way apple handled that (w/o letting folks know they were going to change their workflow). Next year, I'll make my backup USB installer about a week before the next OS release.

_______
Norm

Posted on
Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:26 am
mundmc offline

Sweet! You just saved me a lot of time CliveS, many thanks.

And to clarify- yes, I’m aware of the usb issues and other issues, but i imagined those might be more likely in people UPGRADING to the latest os over a previous one (as opposed to a fresh install).

Posted on
Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:53 am
CliveS offline

Mine was a fresh install (and a very painful uninstall due to the new file system needing to be removed first before you can revert back), you may have a better outcome but I only run Indigo on the Mac Mini so Sierra is fine.
I never updated my Retina 13" so that also stayed on Sierra and I rolled back the other half's Air as I updated that to High Sierra when I got that second hand from eBay just before the GM was released, she had a few niggles with it, updated her to the released version of High Sierra and still a few problems so a fresh install of Sierra and no problems and a comment of "It feels a lot more responsive!"
So I am definitely staying on Sierra.

CliveS

Posted on
Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:53 pm
mundmc offline

Bizarre,
I followed the link CliveS posted, and it downloaded and started the install, which I cancelled as I wanted to save a copy to a USB. Then, the DL package would not open without errors. Then, I couldn't download it again, as it shows as "installed" which it is not.
Attachments
Screenshot 2017-11-07 16.52.00.png
Screenshot 2017-11-07 16.52.00.png (201.18 KiB) Viewed 3598 times

Posted on
Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:01 pm
CliveS offline

Delete the copy you downloaded, reboot and it should be available again to download from the links above.

CliveS

Posted on
Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:53 pm
mundmc offline

CliveS wrote:
Delete the copy you downloaded, reboot and it should be available again to download from the links above.

Yeah, I’m a jackass. But I️ guess Apple assumed that already, hence not letting me download something I️ already downloaded. Many thanks

Posted on
Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:59 pm
DaveL17 offline

Screen Shot 2017-11-09 at 4.58.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-09 at 4.58.14 PM.png (9.39 KiB) Viewed 3484 times

There's the bug I've been reading about. :D

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:56 pm
Turribeach offline

Neither of the Sierra download links are working for me. This support article from Apple points to the same link. Any ideas?

AppleError.png
AppleError.png (5.5 KiB) Viewed 3240 times

Posted on
Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:00 pm
Colly offline

Posted on
Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:01 pm
Turribeach offline

Scrap that. The link was not working from a Windows 7 PC and my MacMini but I just tried it on my MacBook Pro and it worked. I think the link only works on “eligible” computers. Slimy Apple, what purpose does this stupid check has? Just to annoy customers!

Posted on
Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:18 pm
durosity offline

Turribeach wrote:
Scrap that. The link was not working from a Windows 7 PC and my MacMini but I just tried it on my MacBook Pro and it worked. I think the link only works on “eligible” computers. Slimy Apple, what purpose does this stupid check has? Just to annoy customers!

Well logically it means you don’t download something that can’t run on your system. Or for use on a hackintosh ;)

Computer says no.