Since we are talking about Indigo 7 licenses…

Posted on
Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:45 pm
canalrun offline

Since we are talking about Indigo 7 licenses…

Hello,
I still need some clarification on how licenses work.

I purchased Indigo 6 in, I believe, December 2015 with the promise for an upgrade license to indigo 7 when it ships.

Some time later Indigo 7 shipped and I got the Indigo 7 license..

I have read the licensing description blog or web file, but it seems to get confusing with upgrades, expirations, upgrade periods, …

I now see questions about the 7.1 release and again expirations, updates, …

In my situation, Indigo 6 just worked. I didn't have to touch it for a year, except that I needed support for an Aeotec Dry Contact Sensor to implement a doorbell. Indigo 7 added support for this sensor. I upgraded to 7.04. It was easy and everything works perfectly. I now have a push-button doorbell. All is good.

I see 7.1 is now available. I personally don't need any of the new features. I'm happy with my set up as is. But, I wonder if I am eligible for this update.

Now for the question:
I assume the license I have is valid for any 7.xx release, no matter when it comes out?

When Indigo 8 comes out, my license would not be valid for that. I would have to purchase a new license or have purchased an upgrade "contract" within the past year.

Suppose I'm happy with what I have for a year or two. Indigo 9 comes out with a great new feature. I could then purchase a new license for indigo 9 and install it, upgrading my Indigo 7. By purchasing this new license, I would also get all updates for indigo 9, or any upgrades to indigo 10 that happened within a year.

Is this correct?

Thanks,
Barry.

Posted on
Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:03 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Since we are talking about Indigo 7 licenses…

Now for the question:
I assume the license I have is valid for any 7.xx release, no matter when it comes out?

First thing you should do is go to https://www.indigodomo.com/account/codes and see what it says your license is good for.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:49 pm
canalrun offline

Thanks for the page pointer – I did not know about that.

What I wrote previously is not correct…

My subscription expires on Oct. 27, 2017.

This means that since 7.1 was released on Oct. 19, 2017, I am entitled to this update. I am also entitled to any Bug Fix releases based on 7.1 (7.1x)?

This also means that I could download 7.1 today, or 7.1x next month, and install it next month since I am entitled to 7.1x?

But since my subscription expires on Oct. 27, 2017, I would not be entitled to 7.2 if it is released in December2017 (for example)?

If I extended my subscription for another year I would be entitled to 7.2 and also 8.0 (if it was released in February 2018, for example)?

If I did not extend my subscription and two years from now Indigo 9 comes out with a really cool feature, I would need to buy a new license?

Is the above correct?

Thanks,
Barry.

Posted on
Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:50 pm
FlyingDiver offline

That all looks correct to me.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:36 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Hi Barry,
canalrun wrote:
My subscription expires on Oct. 27, 2017.

This means that since 7.1 was released on Oct. 19, 2017, I am entitled to this update. I am also entitled to any Bug Fix releases based on 7.1 (7.1x)?

Correct.

canalrun wrote:
This also means that I could download 7.1 today, or 7.1x next month, and install it next month since I am entitled to 7.1x?

Correct, no rush to download or install 7.1 – you are eligible for it based on when it was released (not when you download/install it).

canalrun wrote:
But since my subscription expires on Oct. 27, 2017, I would not be entitled to 7.2 if it is released in December2017 (for example)?

Correct.

canalrun wrote:
If I extended my subscription for another year I would be entitled to 7.2 and also 8.0 (if it was released in February 2018, for example)?

Correct, but only if Indigo 8 is released before your subscription expires (which if you bought would be around Oct 27, 2018). Now that the subscription model is rolled out we will be focusing less on batching up big features for major releases, and more on frequent releases with new functionality (small and large) as it is ready.

canalrun wrote:
If I did not extend my subscription and two years from now Indigo 9 comes out with a really cool feature, I would need to buy a new license?

Correct. If your subscription expires, you can catch it up for up to one year but the expiration date doesn't move forward – so if it expired and 8 months later you subscribed your subscription would only be good for 4 additional months. If one waits more than a year then they would have to repurchase the full version.

One last note is that the subscription includes the free reflector access. Not everyone needs or uses that, but it is part of the subscription now and expires/disables when a subscription expires.

Thanks for the continued interest in Indigo!

Posted on
Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:42 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Just one other note -- I think that you guys talking about skipping a year or two need to carefully think out the math. Indigo 8+ will not have upgrade pricing since that is what the Indigo Up-to-Date subscription is handling. Therefore, if you skip, say, 3 years of subscription you have saved $59.95/year x 3 but then re-purchase a full license for $249.95. I don't need my math degree to figure out that isn't a good tradeoff! :-)

Adam

Posted on
Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:12 am
howartp offline

Excellent point Adam. I’d not thought of that when reading these posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:36 am
sgbirch offline

For the life of me I cannot find the license to read.

Where is the license documented?

Posted on
Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:06 am
durosity offline

Indigo EULA:

1 - We own your ass
2 - We own you
3 - We own your house

In all seriousness though there is a licence document on the installer disk image, but it’s mostly down about the software they’ve bundled into indigo as best I can tell.. nothing about Indigo itself.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:40 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Not quite that extreme. :-)

Here is an online version of it.

In a nutshell: you can run the Indigo Server only on one Mac (clients on multiple), and don't use Indigo in any situation where a failure/bug/problem can cause damage or harm. Not recommended for operating room automation.

Posted on
Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:51 am
durosity offline

Damn, I was planning to upgrade my surgery..

Computer says no.

Posted on
Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:52 am
roussell offline

matt (support) wrote:
Not recommended for operating room automation.

So you're saying this ISN'T powered by Indigo??? :cry:
a7ae5a52a85cbe77fcf977e05b7542df.jpg
a7ae5a52a85cbe77fcf977e05b7542df.jpg (93.93 KiB) Viewed 2574 times

Terry

Posted on
Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:55 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Actually, it is hard to tell from that photo but the guy in the back is plugging the PowerLinc into a different outlet to troubleshoot power line signal problems.

Posted on
Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:06 am
durosity offline

Damn, I was hoping that was a leak of the indigo pi dev lab.. putting a Raspberry Pi Module inside a cybernetic organism in a lab to be the ultimate home automation controller.. even able to cook your dinner!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:20 am
roussell offline

matt (support) wrote:
» Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:55 am

Actually, it is hard to tell from that photo but the guy in the back is plugging the PowerLinc into a different outlet to troubleshoot power line signal problems.

That would explain the worried look on their faces! At least Indigo would make it easy to swap them!

durosity wrote:
Damn, I was hoping that was a leak of the indigo pi dev lab.. putting a Raspberry Pi Module inside a cybernetic organism in a lab to be the ultimate home automation controller.. even able to cook your dinner!

If that were the case, you'd be the guy on the table and Jay the one standing over you!

Terry