Indigo 7.1 License Questions

Posted on
Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:22 am
roussell offline

Indigo 7.1 License Questions

I’ve been playing with various active/active and active/passive installations to design a highly-available, home automation (HAHA??) system for our next home.

It would be nice if there was a way to have a single license (subscription?) assigned to both an active and backup installation, with the understanding/restriction that only one instance could be active serving requests, processing rules at one time. I realize this could be accomplished now by manually removing the subscription assignment from server A and re-assigning to server B, but that’s no fun. An automated way of that happening when A dies and B takes over (or vice versa) would kick ass, at least to me.

Limited runtime of the backup, or more phone-home connections to ensure that there is only one active connection would be required I suppose (and fine with me). In the end this could be something that only I have an interest in so may not be worth your effort.

Indigo software still represents the smallest investment in HA at my house, so if you guys don’t come up with a way to have a 2nd backup/mostly-inactive installation, then it’s on me to buy a 2nd subscription; which -while not desirable- is still a pretty cheap investment in comparison to my total HA footprint. I do have 2 Mac Minis already for this experiment so.... Maybe backup installs will be more of a necessity when Jay releases IndigoPi!

I really just wish you guys would quit putzing around with the licensing and clearly temporary z-wave-fad nonsense and get those Indigo Touch feature requests knocked out (so I can submit about 39 more)!!

Terry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:37 am
durosity offline

Re: Indigo 7.1 License Questions

Perhaps a solution would be a licence activation system that refreshes every X days.. it’d allow for a 2nd activation and after 5 days or so it’d deactivate the primary install?

Also stop wasting time developing z wave, indigo touch, raspberry pi.. I just want you to work on the schedules feature.. why isn’t there an option for basing my schedules on the Mayan calendar system? Major oversight.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:46 am
johnpolasek offline

A "phone home" option has the potential to be a real disaster if it shuts down the system on failure in places like mine, where the Satellite uplink drops out for anything from 5 minutes to half an hour during heavy rain events. If I had any say about it, I'd say allowing a licensed user to request a "temporary clone" with a strictly limited life (like a week or so) that could be replenished once a month would be a better option.

Posted on
Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:22 pm
roussell offline

lanbrown wrote:
Have you thought about using ESXi?

Heh, yeh. I have 200 cores (not including hyper threading) and 2.5 TB of RAM across 2 HP DL980s and 1 DL 580 in the basement, also a little over 100TB of storage across a Sun/Oracle FibreChannel SAN (electricity is cheap in Alabama). I run ESX on the 980s and Redhat Virtualization on the 580. I have 20 or so virtualized OS X instances, most just for fun, except for the Sighthound server, and a generic OSX fileserver that acts as the NAS/ iTunes server. OSX and Indigo both work well virtualized, although both violate the licensing agreement. Apple only authorizes a virtual install when the host metal is also Apple, and Indigo is only valid when installed on Apple-supported hardware. Sooo, even though it works great (and to keep Jay from showing up at my house to urinate on my dogs), for "production", I keep a couple of Mac Minis around for indigo and it's ancillary scripts and such.

Hopefully Indigo X will be hardware agnostic so it won't be an issue....

I need to shut down the basement "datacenter", it's obviously not needed at all, but I saved all of the hardware from the scrap heap so it was "free" and the kid-that-loves-blinky-lights inside me just can't part with it. Now I just need to find a case or two of GPUs for some AI stuff I've been thinking about, and maybe a little bitcoin mining before the market tanks... :shock:

Terry

Posted on
Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:41 pm
roussell offline

durosity wrote:
Also stop wasting time developing z wave, indigo touch, raspberry pi.. I just want you to work on the schedules feature.. why isn’t there an option for basing my schedules on the Mayan calendar system? Major oversight.

Clearly this man has taken leave of his better judgement. A better UX is the true way forward, schedules be dammed!

Posted on
Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:00 pm
durosity offline

He won’t pee on your dogs...

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:15 am
roussell offline

durosity wrote:
He won’t pee on your dogs...

:shock:

Posted on
Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:08 pm
durosity offline

Well let’s just say I’ve seen his browsing history..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:38 pm
RogueProeliator offline

LOL, You have my vote for "winning the internet" today!

Posted on
Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:18 pm
roussell offline

RogueProeliator wrote:

LOL, You have my vote for "winning the internet" today!

My vote as well! I like how Jay's being all corporate ad not taking the bait!

Terry

Posted on
Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:03 pm
durosity offline

Nah, he’s just worried that I really have seen his browsing history. Don’t worry Jay, I’m not going to tell anyone about that *ADMIN NOTE - this post has been redacted due to national security concerns*

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:17 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

roussell wrote:
I like how Jay's being all corporate ad not taking the bait!

I'll just disable his account if he becomes too big a pain.

Or lock him in the basement... :twisted:

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:59 am
durosity offline

Me? A Pain? Never!

Also you don't have a baseme... oh.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:41 am
DaveL17 offline

Think Tower of London - Texas style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:00 am
durosity offline

I'm more thinking being buried alive in concrete. Jay's done it before.. i have proof.. In fact pretty much everyone who's ever tried to switch from Indigo to something else has suffered that fate. In all fairness to him though that is a suitable punishment for defectors.

Computer says no.