Posted on
Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:41 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Indigo 7.1 License Questions

durosity wrote:
roussell wrote:
durosity wrote:
What happens if both my arms have fallen off and I can’t click on the Indigo 7 menu?

Then you ask Jay to click for you, because if your arms have fallen off, he's probably behind you holding a bloody machete.

Terry

A bloody machete in one hand, a Bloody Mary in the other most likely.

And when I'm done with the Bloody Mary, I'm going to beat him with his own arms... :twisted:

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:39 pm
dgarozzo offline

My user/pass isn't working in 7.1. but it works here.

Posted on
Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:47 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Are you sure you are using your Indigo Accounts username/password?

Unfortunately, the support forum (and hardware store) are different backend systems and the username/passwords are not shared across the apps.

Posted on
Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:43 am
dgarozzo offline

I definitely was using the correct credentials. It works now. Must have been something messed up when I tried before.

Posted on
Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:10 am
Umtauscher offline

So Matt,

let me try to summerize and see if I get that correctly:

1. I have a backup/test Installtion on my client machine to try out new versions before I make them productive. So you say in the future we have to trust that everything works with every update and don't have any fallback in case of hardware/software breakdown.

2. If I switch machines, I have to ask for permission, in case of a server breakdown.

3. My backup will not run on a different machine.

4. What happened to "one server per home?"

Those all are serious issues for me not joking, and even if both my arm fall off!

Cheers
Wilhelm

Posted on
Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:22 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Umtauscher wrote:
1. I have a backup/test Installtion on my client machine to try out new versions before I make them productive. So you say in the future we have to trust that everything works with every update and don't have any fallback in case of hardware/software breakdown.

You can only run one instance of the Indigo server per license you own. You can deactivate that license on one Mac and instantly activate it on another Mac (via the Indigo 7->License Details... menu item). You can make backups of the Indigo folders before installing updates and revert back to the backup if something doesn't work correctly.

Umtauscher wrote:
2. If I switch machines, I have to ask for permission, in case of a server breakdown.

If the Mac is still running you can do the process yourself via the license details dialog. If it isn't, then you have to contact us.

Umtauscher wrote:
3. My backup will not run on a different machine.

Not unless it is deactivated from the other Mac first, or unless you have more than one license.

Umtauscher wrote:
4. What happened to "one server per home?"

It is one instance of Indigo Server per license.

As I've said before, we absolutely, 100% positively won't be going back to the old manually-entered-registration-code licensing model. We understand that a few of our customers may not find this acceptable, but thankfully so far a vast majority haven't had any issues with it.

Posted on
Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:47 am
johnpolasek offline

matt (support) wrote:
As I've said before, we absolutely, 100% positively won't be going back to the old manually-entered-registration-code licensing model. We understand that a few of our customers may not find this acceptable, but thankfully so far a vast majority haven't had any issues with it.

So (playing devil's advocate here) it will no longer be possible to install Indigo at a site that does not have internet access, but I hope it WILL still be possible to run it without consulting the cloud... Hypothetically speaking, if I had a vacation home somewhere west of Uvalde where there isn't even 3g service, and I wanted to automate lights and stuff without putting in a satellite uplink, I'd have to take the server mac to somewhere with at least minimal service to actually install it, but once I did so I could then haul it back out to the boonies and run it there until the next update, at which point I'd have to haul it back into town again?

Posted on
Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:05 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

johnpolasek wrote:
So (playing devil's advocate here) it will no longer be possible to install Indigo at a site that does not have internet access ...

That is correct. We are thinking about a way to activate on a Mac without connectivity, but aren't sure yet if we'll implement it. That said, 7.1 doesn't currently require connectivity (it will show the login dialog every launch but you can just close it) if you already have Indigo 7 registered via having entered a registration code. Indigo 7.2 will likely require it though. We are intentionally doing a soft rollout to make sure things go smoothly.

johnpolasek wrote:
... but I hope it WILL still be possible to run it without consulting the cloud... Hypothetically speaking, if I had a vacation home somewhere west of Uvalde where there isn't even 3g service, and I wanted to automate lights and stuff without putting in a satellite uplink, I'd have to take the server mac to somewhere with at least minimal service to actually install it, but once I did so I could then haul it back out to the boonies and run it there until the next update, at which point I'd have to haul it back into town again?

Exactly. This was a requirement for our licensing model. You can have a Mac mini with Indigo Server installed in the middle of the woods with no connectivity and it will run indefinitely (presuming it was already activated).

Posted on
Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:11 am
Umtauscher offline

Well, I feel like the proverbial frog who is put in a pot of cold water and the heat is slightly turned on.
Let's see how long it takes until the water is boiling....

I have to say, for a company that mainly relies on user-developed-plugins for advancing the functionality I find it hard to accept how much work might have gone into this instead of enhancing the functionality of the product itsself. How many users might be using their licence illegally?

Apart from z-wave devices that have been added in 7.1 I don't see much evolution.

Sorry, I have lost faith....

Posted on
Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:24 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Umtauscher wrote:
I have to say, for a company that mainly relies on user-developed-plugins for advancing the functionality I find it hard to accept how much work might have gone into this instead of enhancing the functionality of the product itsself. How many users might be using their licence illegally?

First, as we have said already, the change in the licensing model is NOT just to force users into compliance. There were several reasons for the licensing model change, that only being one of them. And yes, you would indeed be surprised at how many emails we've gotten from users needing to get into compliance with the licensing terms.

I understand you may not find the model acceptable, but it won't be changed. I don't really see the point in arguing this any more since we have now outlined both why we changed the model and what specifically those changes are in great detail.

Posted on
Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:37 am
RogueProeliator offline

Those all are serious issues for me not joking, and even if both my arm fall off!

I understand your concern and while it can be slightly cumbersome, it should not be taken as a huge inconvenience. Nearly all major software has already gone this route -- for instance, Adobe and Microsoft come to mind and they have millions upon millions of users. I will give you that those in particular mostly allow 2 installations per license, they are also more than twice as much per month... so you could purchase two licenses, pay the same per month as that software, and get a server-based software that you use 100x more than Word or Photoshop. These are just examples, most major software is going this route for better or worse. Personally I am not a huge fan of it but at the same time I find it a slight inconvenience and nothing more.

FWIW, I have not heard a single complaint from any plugin developer in regards to the license change; questions and suggestions, yes, but no complaints at all.

Posted on
Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:48 am
Umtauscher offline

Well, if you all are fine with it, then maybe it's just me or others haven't realized it yet.

Cheers
Wilhelm

Posted on
Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:49 am
lochnesz offline

Matt, Jay, I respect that you have decided on a new licensing model and probably for very good reasons, however you can still be open for improvements if it makes your users happy and also don't put much support load on you.

As I wrote in the thread http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?f=131&t=19296#p147665 you could allow one full install per license but also one limited install.

It would be much appreciated.

Posted on
Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:05 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Oh, we are definitely open to suggestions, and Jay and I continue to talk about what you brought up on the other thread. It is a difficult problem to solve but we are thinking about it.

Wilhelm seems to dislike the entire model enough though that he wants us to abandon it, and he also thinks it shouldn't have been a priority for us (as posted several times, now on multiple threads). Neither of those discussions are going to lead anywhere productive. We understand he isn't happy, but I don't believe there is anything we can do that will make him happy aside from reverting to the previous model which is totally off the table for discussion.

Posted on
Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:16 am
Umtauscher offline

Dear Matt,

I wanted to leave it at that, but it seems you misunderstood my reasons. So I am trying to explain again.

If you mean by model that you only license 1 active installation per home/key I am fine with it and I support it 100%.
In that case your licensing model doesn't seem to have changed at all.

What I don't like on the other hand is to rely on an external webserver and/or personal request if anything goes wrong and a software dongled to a specific hardware.
That's what was great about Indigo up to now and thats what's bugging me.

I have chosen Indigo because it was independent from any webservices/cloud/activation server to run my home and I dont't use the reflector.
If anything goes wrong, I simply want to be able to fix it without having to use anything out of my control. Maybe I want a redundant backup that I could start any time my active installation goes down - and naturally I want a backup that is able to restore a running System on any hardware accessable at that

And even when you state, it's not about someone violating the license agreement, I simply cannot see any need for an online check apart from that.
But I don't violate you license and I don't want be be held responsible for someone doing that.

I understand, that might be superficial reasons for someone but that's just how I feel.
Sincerely

Wilhelm