Proper way to back up server configuration?

Posted on
Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:44 am
six50joe offline

Proper way to back up server configuration?

I apologize if this has been asked or documented elsewhere here but I didn't see anything in the FAQ or How-to wiki for it.

Now that I have indigo servers running in two locations and incrementally add and change things in both, I wanted to know the correct procedure for backing up my entire configuration offline (devices / actions, / scripts / triggers, etc.) so that I could restore them onto a new machine if the server were to fail.

What is the correct way to do this, and what would the 'manifest' need to consist of to be able to restore a complete configuration?

Posted on
Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:14 pm
kw123 offline

Re: Proper way to back up server configuration?

there are several parts:
the indigo proper config
the plugin configs.

you need to check each plugin what it needs.
as for indigo: I am using my indigo utilities plugin that makes a copy of all the relevant indigo files ever xx hours(set the timing in the plugin) to a directory ~/indigo/indigoutilities

then from there you can use time machine to keep versions

Karl
attached a screen shot of the directories and files I am backing up .. I am using postgres, but you could also do the same with sqlite
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 13.13.14.png
Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 13.13.14.png (169.9 KiB) Viewed 2143 times

Posted on
Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:52 pm
Different Computers offline

Not at all what you were asking, but I'd like to mention that a Time Machine restore of an account & applications completely restored Indigo for me on a new computer.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:41 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

six50joe wrote:
I apologize if this has been asked or documented elsewhere here but I didn't see anything in the FAQ or How-to wiki for it.

Now that I have indigo servers running in two locations and incrementally add and change things in both, I wanted to know the correct procedure for backing up my entire configuration offline (devices / actions, / scripts / triggers, etc.) so that I could restore them onto a new machine if the server were to fail.

What is the correct way to do this, and what would the 'manifest' need to consist of to be able to restore a complete configuration?

Unless you have plugins that write stuff in places outside of the standard Indigo install (most don't), you can just backup:

Code: Select all
/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/

And +1 on Different Computers - Time Machine backups work well though you may need to reinstall Indigo 7 after you've recovered from a Time Machine backup - the OS sometimes screws up folder permissions and the installer will correct those. I recommend doing that anyway when restoring from any backup - it'll just make sure things are good.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:19 am
six50joe offline

Thanks for all the responses.

So- if I were to back up /Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/

-what would be the procedure to restore it to another machine? If I made a tarball of this directory, would I simply expand it at the correct place, make sure file permissions are correct and reboot?

Posted on
Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:33 am
CliveS offline

You don't need to Zip/Tarball the directory structure just copy to external drive. (or belt and brasses and do both!)

When I reverted back from High Sierra to Sierra I did the following

Backed up the Indigo 7 Folder to my NAS (or external drive)
Compare both to make sure byte count and files and directories match.
Install Indigo 7.0 on the new Mac (same Mac for me but reformatted)
Copy the NAS backup to overwrite the Indigo 7 directory
Reinstall Indigo 7.0 again to ensure correct permissions
Reboot

For 7.1 onwards you will need to unassociate your Indigo license from your old Mac (if you can) before you do the new install as you will be prompted to re-license when installing on the new Mac.

If the old Mac dies and you need a copy of Sierra (which is not now showing on the App Store) then it can be found at either

https://geo.itunes.apple.com/us/app/macos-sierra/id1127487414?mt=12
or
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/macos-sierra/id1127487414?mt=12

which are the hidden App Store address's and if anyone does not have a local copy it may be worth grabbing it in case Apple remove it completely.

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Page 1 of 1