Upgrading from 6 to 7

Posted on
Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:21 pm
canalrun offline

Upgrading from 6 to 7

Hello,
I'm currently running Indigo 6. I have a complementary upgrade license for indigo 7.

I have been putting off the upgrade for more than six months since Indigo 6 just works. I have not touched it in almost a year.

The only problem is doorbell support. I have an Aeon doorbell. It's got problems. I have purchased a contact closure sensor which generates a Z-wave signal that I would like to hook up to a doorbell button and integrate into Indigo. But, this new hardware was not supported by Indigo 6, it is supported in 7.

The biggest problem is that I am a complete Mac newbie. I've developed for the PC for 30 years, but have barely touched anything Apple.

The simplest things stop me cold.

A couple questions before I start this upgrade:

I have the complimentary upgrade license for version 7. Will this license allow me to continue using version 7 forever, until I purchase a new license in a couple years?

In the install documentation (under upgrades from 6) it shows things like viewing and deleting from a directory ( /Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/) How does one find and view this location? Finder doesn't seem to allow a path entry. I think I need something like the equivalent of Windows Explorer.

I have my license key for version 7. Is there anything else I should make sure I have handy before I begin?
Has anyone had trouble going from 6 to 7. My setup is very simple, a few lights with motion sensors, a smoke detector, and a doorbell. They all work in 6.
I don't expect any problems, but if for some reason I want to revert back to 6, is there anything I should do to make sure this version is retained and is ready to go.

Thanks,
Barry.

Posted on
Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:57 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Upgrading from 6 to 7

Just make sure you follow the upgrade instructions to ensure a smooth upgrade.

To revert back to Indigo 6 (which we don't uninstall), just shut down the Indigo 7 server and quit the Indigo 7 client then start up the Indigo 6 client (which should start the Indigo 6 server up).

canalrun wrote:
Will this license allow me to continue using version 7 forever, until I purchase a new license in a couple years?

Yes, you can run the version of Indigo 7 that you purchase (and perhaps a feature upgrade or two after that) forever. Check out the Indigo Up-to-Date post for details.

canalrun wrote:
In the install documentation (under upgrades from 6) it shows things like viewing and deleting from a directory ( /Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/) How does one find and view this location? Finder doesn't seem to allow a path entry. I think I need something like the equivalent of Windows Explorer.

Library folders are hidden in the Finder by default. However, you can go to any folder on the hard drive by choosing the Go->Go to Folder... menu item in the Finder and typing in (or pasting) in the full path (it will even do tab completion like Linux/unix system shells do). To get a Finder window for the Indigo 6 install, select that menu item, then paste (or type in):

Code: Select all
/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/

and it will go to that folder in the frontmost Finder window (or create a new one if there aren't any Finder windows open). You can then open a new Finder window and do the same with:

Code: Select all
/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/

and you'll be able to drag and drop files between the two (you may get an authentication dialog when you first try it since those are protected directories).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:54 pm
canalrun offline

Made the switch from 6 to 7 today. It was a piece of cake. Everything went smoothly. Thanks.

Now I feel foolish for worrying so much.

Barry.

Posted on
Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:11 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Hi Barry,

Great - thanks for the follow-up! We like to hear the success stories here too. :-)

Posted on
Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:21 am
Different Computers offline

Hey Barry and anyone else who feels like a Mac newbie:

I'm a long time full time Mac support guy. If you have questions about Mac OS stuff, feel free to DM me here. I've gotten plenty of help here with non-OS related things, it just seems fair for me to offer what help I'm good at.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:42 pm
siclark offline

Barry I am in the same boat, windows user since windows 3. Mac user for 5 months.
In the finder menu use the Go menu and you can see the computer root folder, equiv of c: and see how the hidden bits work. Highly recommend them dragging the library/perceptive automation folder to your favorites, just as you would in windows explorer.

Posted on
Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:25 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Different Computers wrote:
Hey Barry and anyone else who feels like a Mac newbie:

I'm a long time full time Mac support guy. If you have questions about Mac OS stuff, feel free to DM me here. I've gotten plenty of help here with non-OS related things, it just seems fair for me to offer what help I'm good at.

Thanks for posting this - everyone contributing in their own way is what makes our forums/product so successful.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1