Remnants of older of Indigo affecting Indigo 7 startup?

Posted on
Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:09 pm
sarahcat offline

Remnants of older of Indigo affecting Indigo 7 startup?

I am only using Indigo Pro 7. I still have Indigo 5 as an item in LaunchPad and Indigo 6 sometimes launches when my Indigo starts (should be 7, as I have the automatic start setup up in the Indigo configuration). I am currently using the Indigo Client and Server on the same Mac. I have been upgrading since Indigo 3 and I have not explicitly asked for any older versions to remain, however, clearly components of pre-Indigo 7 installs are still present. I assume the old components are the reason I'm getting a server compatibility error whenever I reboot the Mac or restart Indigo 7 (see attached screen shot file).

I'd like to delete all the old Indigo versions components and I'd appreciate a roadmap to delete the older bits. I'd like to clean this up before I move the server to a new headless Mac Mini, which will do my security and home automation exclusively.

Thanks!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 8.35.24 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 8.35.24 PM.png (28.04 KiB) Viewed 1115 times

Posted on
Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:28 pm
sarahcat offline

Re: Remnants of older of Indigo affecting Indigo 7 startup?

UPDATE:

I did find out that I had both the "Start up at login" option for the server selected, but also the Indigo start at login option on Indigo 7 in the Dock. I unselected the option in the dock.

Do I need to have the client start in order to have my timed actions executed or is having the server started all I need. I've always had the client start as well as the server, assuming that Indigo Client was necessary to run the events. Is that an incorrect assumption? If it is not necessary to have the client running to execute the automation, then I've probably had this misconfigured for a long time.

Thanks!

Posted on
Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:27 am
howartp offline

You only need server running for actions etc to run.

In general each install of Indigo is standalone so you *should* be safe to just delete your old Indigo folders - but I want someone else to agree before you go ahead!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:00 am
DaveL17 offline

Older versions of Indigo should not interfere with newer versions in any way. On my development machine, I have Indigo 6 and Indigo 7 installed and routinely go back and forth between the two (for testing purposes.)

You should not have Indigo as a startup item for any user account, and instead select "Start and connect to Indigo Server on this computer" when you first start the server. On the server machine (you can't do it from another computer) select Stop Server and then select Start Local Server... to see this option and ensure it's checked.

Next, if you access your server from multiple machines with the Indigo client, you should always ensure that the version is the same on all. It doesn't necessarily have to be the newest version--they just all should be the same.

Lastly, each build of Indigo is stand alone. It doesn't rely on older versions in any way (that is, for Major releases like from 6 to 7.) Dot releases definitely do rely on older versions (like from 7.0.2 to 7.0.3). But a word of warning--your "custom" files are not automatically copied over (like custom images or script files) during major upgrades. You're on your own for those. I'd recommend leaving the older version installed for a while. Depending on what you have for custom files, prior versions don't take up that much space and you may find that you need to go back and get something that you missed after upgrading. My Indigo 6 and Indigo 7 installs together are only 150MB. You could back them up someplace else, but in my opinion, if you have Indigo properly configured at startup, there's no immediate need to get rid of the older versions.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Page 1 of 1