PowerLink 2413U Power Line Trouble

Posted on
Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:34 pm
mtimmons1 offline

PowerLink 2413U Power Line Trouble

Hello all, I am at a loss with a very odd scenario.
I am on the my 2nd PowerLink in my home that I’ve been in for the past 7 years. Everything has worked well for quite some time.

Lately however, I noticed that the power link would “randomly” report “Power Failure / possible power failure / lost connection with interface”. I would then have to reboot my Mac in order to make the 2413U re-connect. Un / re plugging the USB would not help.

It took a while to determine the “random” part of this problem. But, I found that when I turned on a fluorescent light in a room nearby, it would knock the 2413U out.

So, then #1, I replaced the fluorescent with an LED. The problem went away.

But then, turning on a fan and another light around the same circuit now also kills the 2413U.

#2, I wiped the Mac and rebuilt it completely and reset the 2413U. Same problem.

#3. I moved the 2413U and to a different circuit with-in my 15’ USB cable length. Same problem, it still gets killed on these little “power jolts.”

#4. I moved the 2413U again and used a USB extender. Works greats again until I turn on a light or fan near-by.

#5. I ran the 2413U intro a power strip. Same problem.

#6. I put the 2413 into a UPS… problem seems solved. But the UPS filters Insteon commands..

Any suggestions here? Is there a way I can just kext unload / load the USB driver so I don’t have to reboot? Or can Indigo be smart enough to help with this?

Do you think my 2413U from Nov 2014 is bad?

Any help would be appreciated! It is time to replace it with the USB Stick? I have several access points around.

- Matt

Posted on
Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:01 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: PowerLink 2413U Power Line Trouble

Hi Matt,

I am surprised though that you have to restart your Mac to get it working again. Have you tried unplugging the 2413U from both your Mac and the power outlet for a couple of minutes then plugging it back in? If a reboot helps then I'd expect that to get it back online as well.

That said, I think your 2413U is probably failing. We normally recommend the dual-band 2413U over the RF-only 2448A7 (USB stick) because it can be a hair faster, but given the history of problems you've had with the 2413U I'd probably go with the 2448A7.

Posted on
Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:30 pm
mtimmons1 offline

I'm pretty sure I tried unplugging both and did not have repeatable success.. and sometimes is it when I'm not home and my wife turns on a light. I programed a reboot function on my control page for this purpose. I order the USB stick today and yeah, these 2413's seems to only last a few years.
Thanks for the help.
-Matt

Posted on
Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:20 am
mtimmons1 offline

Matt,
I have updated my findings after switching to the USB Stick here:

viewtopic.php?f=75&t=18019&p=135402#p135402

Would love your feedback!
-Matt T.

Page 1 of 1