Running Indigo 6 and Indigo Touch without a reflector

Posted on
Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:44 am
jmdraper offline

Running Indigo 6 and Indigo Touch without a reflector

Hi

I am a very happy user of Indigo 7 in my own home, having upgraded the Mac Mini that was running it so as to meet the new minimum OS spec. I now have an old Mac Mini capable of running OS X 10.6 tops and an old Indigo 6 Pro license. I would like to install these in my family holiday home. I also want to use Indigo Touch since remote control is a kew requirement for that.

I understand that reflectors are now only available with Indigo 7, which of course I cannot upgrade the system to since it doesn't meet the minimum spec requirements. I don't have the money to get a new(er) Mac Mini for the holiday home, so I need to confirm that my setup will work. If I have understood correctly, I should be just fine as long as I set up some dynamic DNS service such as no-ip or similar and use that address when I configure the server in Indigo Touch.

Is that correct?

Thanks!

Posted on
Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:39 pm
Different Computers offline

Re: Running Indigo 6 and Indigo Touch without a reflector

That's what I did before I7. You have to set up port forwarding on your router. A VPN is probably a good idea too, though I doubt a 10.6 Mini can run a current tech VPN. If you know for sure where you'll be remotely controlling the system and can give it a static IP, or even just know the range of IP addresses it will always be inside, then you can limit connections that way.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:37 am
MarcoGT offline

Re: Running Indigo 6 and Indigo Touch without a reflector

Different Computers wrote:
That's what I did before I7. You have to set up port forwarding on your router. A VPN is probably a good idea too, though I doubt a 10.6 Mini can run a current tech VPN. If you know for sure where you'll be remotely controlling the system and can give it a static IP, or even just know the range of IP addresses it will always be inside, then you can limit connections that way.

I think you need OSX Server.
I am running my own VPN server at home that I use to reroute all Internet traffic when using "open" WiFi like hotels, airports, hotspots and so on :)

Page 1 of 1