Indigo 7 reliability problems

Posted on
Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:27 am
krvw offline

Indigo 7 reliability problems

Hi All,

Hey, I recently did the upgrade from Indigo 6 to 7 on my Mac Mini Server (OS X 10.11.6, El Capitan), and I'm having some reliability problems. Thought I'd check here to see if it's just me or if others are seeing the same sort of thing.

Additional data: My house has some 40 Insteon devices -- mostly lights and motion sensors. I'm also running two Indigo plug-ins: NEST and iTunes.

Symptoms

The Indigo server just stops running from time to time, without warning, and I'm not seeing anything useful in the logs. I can restart the server and then it's fine for a while. Usual times between crashes is from 24 to 72 hours.

Previously, on Indigo 6, I went for months in between restarts, and then it was usually to upgrade to a new version of Indigo 6. NOTE: I did NOT run the two plug-ins under 6. I've only started using them in Indigo 7.

For debugging purposes, I've temporarily disabled the NEST plug-in to see if that makes a difference. I'll do the same with the iTunes plug-in later, but really want to avoid that. (I have a couple motion sensors tied to it, so that when we're home, the music server (on a separate Mac) starts to play.)

Anyone else seeing this? I'm hoping it's an early teething problem with Indigo 7 and that there'll be an update coming along and then I'll be back to my reliable old days. :-)

Cheers,

Ken

Posted on
Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:38 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Indigo 7 reliability problems

Hi Ken,

Do you use Indigo's built-in email scanning? If so, temporarily disable the scanning (via the Preferences->Email panel, Check email every N minutes checkbox) Let me know if that helps or not.

Also you can check the ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/ folder for an Indigo crash file. Email it to us (support AT indigodomo.com) if you find one.

Posted on
Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:01 pm
krvw offline

Thanks Matt. I do NOT use the email scanner, but I'll check for a crash file and email you if I find one.

BTW, disabling the NEST plug-in didn't solve the problem.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Ken van Wyk

Posted on
Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:04 pm
krvw offline

Just checked, and I have no CrashReporter logs on the system. Any other logs I can be checking?

Thanks.

Ken

Posted on
Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:33 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Hmmm - if there's no crash report then it didn't crash but rather was told to quit by something. Send us the Indigo log file (to support@indigodomo.com) for one of the days when it quit. Also let us know as best as you can tell when it actually stopped on that day.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:33 pm
krvw offline

Nothing there to tell it to quit, but I did some more investigating.

I disabled the iTunes plug-in and the problem seems to have pretty much vanished. I've had 1 new crash in a week, but that's all. That's 1 more than I'd like, but the daily crashes are gone.

The system is a dedicated server. (OS X Server and Indigo server.) No users on it, and these are the only processes running (other than kernel/OS).

I checked for the log files you pointed me to earlier in this thread, but there was nothing present. Further, the log window within Indigo itself shows nothing. Are there other files I should be looking for? (I've been a unix/linux admin since the early 1980s.)

The server process simply died and provided me no reason.

If/when it happens again, I'm happy to send you every pertinent log on the system.

Cheers,

Ken

Posted on
Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:59 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I doubt it's related to Indigo 7 in that case. The iTunes plugin code didn't change between Indigo 6 and Indigo 7. And the fact that there's no evidence that the server crashed leads me to believe you've got some systemic issues with your system. Have you checked the system logs at around the times that the server process disappeared? There may be clues there.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1