Upgrade to 7 - Airfoil errors

Posted on
Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:37 pm
pgershon offline

Upgrade to 7 - Airfoil errors

My plugin which uses Airfoil started to misbehave post- upgrade to Indigo 7. First the AppleScript did not import to the Indigo 7 folders (plugins moved seamlessly) and it took a bit to figure out the problem. Once that was solved, things were OK until I looked at the log. I do not see any performance issues, but log filled with:

Airfoil Error Update failed. Check to see if Airfoil is functioning correctly and that there is only a single copy of the application on your hard drive.

Not sure what the cause is or even how to diagnose as this lacks detail. Using Airfoil 5.5.0

Posted on
Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:48 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Upgrade to 7 - Airfoil errors

That error indicates that there are multiple copies of Airfoil on your hard drive (it's an AppleScript bug). You'll need to find the extraneous copy and delete it. Note, the new Airfoil Pro plugin doesn't use AppleScript so it doesn't have this problem.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:16 am
pgershon offline

Thanks Jay. I have looked pretty carefully, both before posting and again now, and I do not see a second copy of Airfoil. I do have Airfoil on both the host/server machine and the client machine, but I would not think that counts as separate copied. Also interestingly, while this error occurred for about 3 days, it seems to have completely gone away. I made n changes that I am aware of. I will note that my application used Radium to play Sirius XM and the output is sent to remote speakers using Airfoil. At the time the error message was occurring, Radium seemed to be having issues connecting to Sirius stations, and I wonder if the Airfoil error was related?

Posted on
Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:02 am
pgershon offline

There is definitely something odd going on with this. The Airfoil error message seems to start up and go away at will. I have only one copy of Airfoil on the Mac running server. I have checked and re-checked. But the airfoil error seems to come and go randomly. There will no errors for days at a time, then all of a sudden the error messages start, seemingly with no provocation. The below is from my log when the error started, and it has got for 21 hours straight since. I have one simple AppleScript that communicates with Radium and Airfoil receives the sound from the radium app.

ANY IDEAS?

received: 69.5)
2016-12-10 11:16:39.247 Trigger Motion Living Room
2016-12-10 11:22:59.235 Trigger Open Front Door
2016-12-10 11:23:27.957 Trigger Motion Living Room
2016-12-10 11:26:13.281 Received INSTEON "Thermostat - Upstairs" on (button 2)
2016-12-10 11:26:14.862 Received INSTEON "Thermostat - Upstairs" on (all linked devices)
2016-12-10 11:26:53.760 Trigger Motion Living Room
2016-12-10 11:27:05.269 Trigger Motion Office
2016-12-10 11:30:10.454 Trigger Motion Office
2016-12-10 11:30:43.721 Airfoil Error Update failed. Check to see if Airfoil is functioning correctly and that there is only a single copy of the application on your hard drive.
2016-12-10 11:30:45.890 Airfoil Error Update failed. Check to see if Airfoil is functioning correctly and that there is only a single copy of the application on your hard drive.
2016-12-10 11:30:48.009 Airfoil Error Update failed. Check to see if Airfoil is functioning correctly and that there is only a single copy of the application on your hard drive.
2016-12-10 11:30:50.150 Airfoil Error Update failed. Check to see if Airfoil is functioning correctly and that there is only a single copy of the application on

RADIUM SCRIPT:
Code: Select all
using terms from application "IndigoServer"
   on GetsxmStation()
      tell application id "com.catpigstudios.Radium3"
         if it is running then
            set AAA to track name
            my set_variable(("sxmTrack"), AAA as string)
            set AAA to station name
            my set_variable(("sxmStation"), AAA as string)
         end if
      end tell
   end GetsxmStation
   on set_variable(variable_name, variable_value)
      if not (variable (variable_name) exists) then
         make new variable with properties {name:variable_name, value:(variable_value as string)}
      else
         set value of (variable (variable_name)) to (variable_value as string)
      end if
   end set_variable

end using terms from

Posted on
Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:51 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

pgershon wrote:
But the airfoil error seems to come and go randomly. There will no errors for days at a time, then all of a sudden the error messages start, seemingly with no provocation.

This is a Mac OS X AppleScript bug that's been around for a long time. Apple knows about it but hasn't fixed it and honestly given it's age I don't expect they will. I'd recommend switching to the new Airfoil Pro plugin which will not have the same issue.

The script above isn't using Airfoil or the Airfoil plugin so I'm not sure what relationship it has to the Airfoil update error you're seeing.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1