Migrating from Vera to Indigo

Posted on
Mon May 16, 2016 1:13 am
litening offline

Hi,

I'm about to migrate from Vera to Indigo. I have some 20+ devices.

There isn't any automatic way to migrate the z-wave network is there? That would be awesome.

Not looking forward to excluding/including all my devices...

Posted on
Mon May 16, 2016 5:40 am
DaveL17 offline

Unfortunately, no. But trust me when I say that the effort is completely worth it.

I came over from Vera (as did a ton of folks here) and couldn't be happier.

Dave

ETA: I should be clear that this is not a limitation of Indigo. I'm not aware of any way to export network data from Vera and import it into the Z-Stick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Mon May 16, 2016 6:59 am
litening offline

Re: Migrating from Vera to Indigo

Thanks for letting me know.

Just thinking that a tool like that would create a large flow of new users into Indigo. There are many unhappy Vera users that are put off by the migration process i think.

(I realize that making such a tool could be very difficult technically)

Posted on
Mon May 16, 2016 8:20 am
Different Computers offline

I had to migrate from ST, which I think was even more of a pain, since before excluding a device you have to remove it from all smartApps that reference it!

I don't have a huge number of devices, but I got it all done in a not particularly tedious weekend. Actually, I did it in stages, where I could focus on a room at a time. Went pretty smoothly and what a relief at the end!

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Mon May 16, 2016 9:07 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I don't believe it's technically possible to migrate a network from the Vera to another controller automatically - not just hard, but not even possible. While the Z-Wave protocol does provide for it, I suspect it was a business decision on their part to not implement it in their products (making it even harder for people to switch to other solutions and making them more "sticky").

Since we use standard serial Z-Wave interfaces, you can just use different software with the interface and not have to recreate the network if you choose to move away from Indigo. Just say'n... ;)

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon May 16, 2016 11:42 am
litening offline

Vera has a "z-wave backup" feature that can be used to move a network from one vera controller to another. Maybe if that format was reverse engineered a network migration would be possible?

(I'm going to migrate either way, just interested in this kind of stuff :)

Posted on
Sun May 22, 2016 2:23 pm
litening offline

Just wanted you guys to know that I migrated and I truly couldn't be happier.

Indigo seems rock solid and all my latency issues are gone.

Very impressed with the quality of the code base for Indigo.

On a side note, migrating all devices (including/excluding) was much easier than expected. In part because the z-wave stick can be moved around when excluding/including and in part because it's possible to exclude all devices connected to Vera using the z-wave stick.

Posted on
Mon May 23, 2016 11:38 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Great! Glad it's all working well for you.

Migrating Z-Wave devices manually just sounds like a huge amount of work, but in reality it's not really that bad for the majority of users.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:57 pm
biswasg offline

I am also planning a move from Vera lite running UI7 to Indigo 7. Currently, evaluating a Indigo trial version.
I have a similar number of devices installed, many of them the Fibaro relays installed in the wall switches.
I have tried to exclude them with the new Aeotec Z-wave stick, but have been unsuccessful. However, I understand from above posts that this is possible, even if the device has been included into the Z-wave network using Vera lite.
If this is indeed possible, I will very much appreciate, if someone can elaborate the steps, especially the exclusion of the single and double relay switches and dimmers in the wall switches, without having to opening the switches.
Many thanks.

Posted on
Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:58 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Just take the Z-Stick to your device and press and hold the button until it's rapidly flashing, then perform the exclusion process on the device (unfortunately that process is device specific - it may be as simple as pressing the up button/paddle on the switch but you'll need to check with the device's docs for details).

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:37 pm
siclark offline

biswasg - welcome to Indigo from another ex Vera user. I think I tried the evaluation copy for less than 48 hours before deciding to pay the money and couldnt be happier. I exlcuded most of mine with Vera, but then did as Jay suggests for the last few. Top tip, be careful using the switch up/down method on relay modules, I blew one doing that.
The time you spend manually excluding and adding the devices will quickly be made up in the time saved not having to wait minutes in Vera everytime you make a change to anything.

Posted on
Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:47 am
biswasg offline

siclark wrote:
biswasg - welcome to Indigo from another ex Vera user. I think I tried the evaluation copy for less than 48 hours before deciding to pay the money and couldnt be happier. I exlcuded most of mine with Vera, but then did as Jay suggests for the last few. Top tip, be careful using the switch up/down method on relay modules, I blew one doing that.
The time you spend manually excluding and adding the devices will quickly be made up in the time saved not having to wait minutes in Vera everytime you make a change to anything.

Thankd Jay and Siclark. After playing with the trial version, I have also joined the Indigo club and purchased a license of Indigo 7.
Have moved most of my Fibaro relays and dimmers from Vera over to the Indigo network. Quite seamlessly. Having problem with two of the dimmers. Don't know if I blew them up. Will try to reset and try again. Is there a way to know if they have gone bad?

Now trying to move the sensors. It was easy moving the sensors, which I could move close to my computer. Problem is with the fixed ones. I have one on the ground floor, while my computer running Indigo is two floors above. The sensor a Philio 4in1 is included in the USB Z-stick, but when I connect it to my computer and try to sync- it says the sensor is sleeping. By the time I go down to wake it up the sync has finished. IS it possible to keep the syn open for a longer duration for one to have let's say a minute or so to wake up the sensor?

Posted on
Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:19 am
DaveL17 offline

biswasg wrote:
IS it possible to keep the syn open for a longer duration for one to have let's say a minute or so to wake up the sensor?

What I do in such cases is to use a MacBook running the Indigo client software (hooked up to the running server obviously). Then I can wake the sensor and hit the sync button instantly. My prior method was to tell my wife, "When I yell OK, click this." :D

Posted on
Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:47 am
biswasg offline

DaveL17 wrote:
biswasg wrote:
IS it possible to keep the syn open for a longer duration for one to have let's say a minute or so to wake up the sensor?

What I do in such cases is to use a MacBook running the Indigo client software (hooked up to the running server obviously). Then I can wake the sensor and hit the sync button instantly. My prior method was to tell my wife, "When I yell OK, click this." :D

Thanks Dave, Your solution did of course work, but I had hoped for a more electronic solution!!! :lol:

Posted on
Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:30 am
DaveL17 offline

Good deal. To be clear, some battery powered devices do support a longer wake interval, but you have to sync or wait until the next time the device wakes up to set the parameter to the device.

I don't know if all battery powered devices support such a parameter, but I suspect not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk