replacing failed PowerLinc Modem - INSTEON 2413U

Posted on
Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:22 pm
MarkMuntean offline

replacing failed PowerLinc Modem - INSTEON 2413U

My PowerLinc Model went dead for no apparent reason. No lights, etc. I ordered a new one and went to install it. When I went to sync it it failed to sync with all the passive battery powered devices: motion sensors, water sensors, etc. It requests I hit the set button on each to wake it up. The only problem is that these are mounted in attics, crawl spaces, and other somewhat inaccessible locations throughout the house. It will likely take two people with walkie talkies at least a couple of hours to do this.

Is there any alternative solution? Is there any way to clone the identity of the prior modem so that the distributed sensors are linked to the replacement?

If not, this seems like a very shortsighted support design flaw with the system. As you can tell I am pretty much resigned to the fact that the situation sucks.

Bummed out.

Posted on
Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:22 am
nathanw offline

Re: replacing failed PowerLinc Modem - INSTEON 2413U

It's unfortunate and annoying (I had to do this a couple of months ago), but it's a limitation of the Insteon devices - I don't think there's much Indigo can do about it. The whole process is teaching the remote devices the address of the new PowerLinc, more or less, and they have to be woken up and put into the mode where they're listening for that message. For battery-conservation reasons they normally don't listen to their radio signals at all and just wake up to transmit when there's an event.

Posted on
Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:14 am
DaveL17 offline

Battery-operated Z-Wave devices do this too.

It's a no-win situation really. If they listened constantly, the batteries would go dead faster and we'd be mad that the batteries didn't last long enough. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:03 am
akimball offline

Argh. I was afraid of this. Good time to replace batteries i guess. Moving to an insteon 2448a7.

-Al

Page 1 of 1