steps to move indigo to a new mac

Posted on
Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:53 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: steps to move indigo to a new mac

As long as the Z-Stick is going to move over to the new Mac then you won't need to exclude/re-include/resync. If you replace or upgrade to the newer Z-Stick, then you will need to perform the exclude/re-include/resync steps.

Posted on
Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:42 am
jalves offline

Sorry to resurrect an old(er) thread but I suddenly have a need to do this. Apparently my (formerly) trusty Mac Mini has bitten the dust. I've got a new machine coming which I hope to be able to set up from a time machine backup of the Mini. Assuming that goes well then all I should have to do is plug in everything. Right?

A few questions:
Would I be best off doing a clean install of Indigo after applying all needed system updates?
Will the My House data base file be automatically detected by Indigo? If not, how do I do that?
Would it be good practice to re-link all my devices? Or is that overkill?
What else should I know?

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Posted on
Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:06 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

When I had to replace my mini a couple of years ago it was backup, restore, done. I use SuperDuper so it's pretty easy as it's a complete copy of the drive, but I was back up and running in an hour or less.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:52 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

jalves wrote:
Sorry to resurrect an old(er) thread but I suddenly have a need to do this. Apparently my (formerly) trusty Mac Mini has bitten the dust. I've got a new machine coming which I hope to be able to set up from a time machine backup of the Mini. Assuming that goes well then all I should have to do is plug in everything. Right?

Make sure that your time machine backup is restoring this directory depending on the version you're running:

Code: Select all
/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/
/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/

Once you've restored from the time machine backup, I recommend that you rerun the Indigo installer. Migration Assistant (also used for time machine restores) often times screws up file/folder permissions. Rerunning the installer will correct any permission issues but leave your stuff alone.

That's pretty much all you have to do.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:51 am
jalves offline

Thanks Jay (and all the PP's). The new machine is due here today. Looking forward to getting my house automation back on line. You don't realize how much you depended on it until it goes out. I'll post my experiences once I finish the setup.

Jeff

Posted on
Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:23 am
jalves offline

So, the new machine arrived and I've got it set up. Did a restore from a time machine backup of the old one that had died. Updated the system. Reinstalled Indigo as per Jay's suggestion. However, I can't get Indigo to recognize my license. When I enter my user name and password it says it can't find a license for that user name. I'm pretty sure I've got the correct info entered.

Sent an email off to support on this.

Jeff

Posted on
Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:49 am
Colly offline

I think you need to de-register the old Mac and register the new one via you Indigo account on the website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:44 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Colly wrote:
I think you need to de-register the old Mac and register the new one via you Indigo account on the website.

Correct, except deregistering happens in the Indigo Client on the Mac that it was registered on, not on the website.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:55 pm
jalves offline

Thanks to the great folks at Indigo who de-registered the old machine I'm back up and working....

... except I can't seem to get my old (model 2?) z-wave controller recognized on the new computer. Not sure if I'm missing a driver or what. I've tried plugging it directly into the computer and through a usb hub, without success.

Jeff

Posted on
Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:08 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

The older S2 Z-Stick requires a 3rd party driver. See the wiki here for the details and link to it. Note the newer Gen5 version doesn't require a 3rd party driver – it uses Apple's built-in USB modem driver.

Posted on
Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:10 am
eme jota ce offline

Might be useful to include the deactivation requirement in the Indigo 7 documentation, here. That would have saved me a lot of time while moving Indigo to a new mac: :)

http://wiki.indigodomo.com/doku.php?id= ... nother_mac

[edited Anger emoticon to Smile after seeing Jay's response.]
Last edited by eme jota ce on Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Posted on
Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:05 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

eme jota ce wrote:
Might be useful to include the deactivation requirement in the Indigo 7 documentation, here. That would have saved me a lot of time while moving Indigo to a new mac: :x

http://wiki.indigodomo.com/doku.php?id= ... nother_mac

Updated - sorry about that.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:13 am
noel1983 offline

Thanks for all the info here everyone. Just doing it now.

Two points - not sure what 'filer' is in the first post and forklift is a pricey purchase (i'm tight!!) just to move Indigo. Be good if it was clearer what they're specifically needed for/why.

Not sure if its just my kit but the copy using terminal is insanely slow. it's taken a minute so far just to transfer 30mb!!!

Thanks again, fingers crossed the rest is smooth sailing.

Edit: I'm getting a few of these:

cp: /Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/Plugins/EPS HomeKit Bridge.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/bin/hb/node-v8.11.1-darwin-x64/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/.bin/uuid: could not copy extended attributes to /Volumes/temp1/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/Plugins/EPS HomeKit Bridge.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/bin/hb/node-v8.11.1-darwin-x64/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/.bin/uuid: Operation not supported

Anything to be concerned about?

Posted on
Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:31 am
noel1983 offline

Read the wiki, did it simply with a usb stick and all seems fine!!

Is this thread still relevant? If not then maybe its worth editing the title or the first post to point to the wiki?

Posted on
Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:19 am
Different Computers offline

I'm curious about the use of Filer and all sorts of command line copying in your instructions, because I didn't do any of that stuff.

For me something along the lines of the following worked at least twice:

Clean Install OS on new computer (hopefully an OS that matches the old Mac)
    Install any command line tools needed (Brew, MacPorts, ffmpeg, etc.) This list will vary a lot based on your install of Indigo.
    Run any OS updates on the old Mac.
    Run Migration assistant, moving user account for Indigo to the new Mac
    With the Finder, copy '/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation' from the old to /Library/Application Support/ on the new Mac.
That was really it. Maybe a couple of one off files I had to track down.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.