Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:15 am
kw123 offline

steps to move indigo to a new mac

Would like to summarize my experience with moving INDIGO to a new mac

my setup
SOURCE: MAC pro 2008 Yosemite 10.10.5
TARGET: MAC mini 2014 16GB Ram 2 TB Fusion disk, Yosemite 10.10.5

step1:
TARGET : install new mac with same userid etc, enable sharing of screen and files

step2:
SOURCE: fix your zwave network: manually sync the devices to make sure you don't have problems, or if you have problems after the move you know what they are, and that it is not a new problem created by the move.

step3 :
share the ~/documents folder of the TARGET on the SOURCE
mount your userID (should be the same on both) ~/document directory of the TARGET directly on the SOURCE in filer

step 4:
TARGET: install supporting utilities, like GNUPLOT , security spy etc

step5:
SOURCE: in filer or better forklift enable show invisible items
SOURCE: with filer copy '/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation' to ~/documents on TARGET
TARGET: copy with filer 'Perceptive Automation' to '/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation'
with filer copy supporting directories like security spy preferences etc to documents and then to the proper directories on the TARGET

same using terminal:
SOURCE : open terminal window :
cp -R '/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation' '/Volumes/TARGETDiskName/Users/yourUserID/Documents'

TARGET: open terminal window
cp -R '/Users/yourUserID/Documents/Perceptive Automation' '/Library/Application Support/'
needs to be done in 2 steps due to access rights. You only want to give rights to your documents folder or better the "public" folder (not the internet one)

you get the TARGETDiskName by typing in a terminal
ls /volumes
There you will see all the drives and you need to pick the TARGET drive. It's name might be different from the name on the TARGET. e.g. if your hard disk name is " Macintosh HD" on both computers it might be e.g. 'Macintosh HD' and 'Macintosh HD-1'
** and don't forget the ' ' around the names if your have any blanks in the path.

step 6:
TARGET :
- install indigo (download from http://www.indigodomo.com/downloads.html)
- install zwave drivers, see :http://wiki.indigodomo.com/doku.php?id=indigo_6_documentation:getting_started#connecting_z-wave_interfaces
download and install the drivers (could be more than 1)

step7:
TARGET : start indigo to see if it starts.. shut down immediately

step8:
SOURCE: shut down indigo server AND client, rename the server app ; /Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/IndigoServer.app' to /IndigoServer-xx.app so that you don't start 2 indigo servers by accident with same config
To get the most recent database:
SOURCE: copy from /Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/Logs/indigo_history.sqlite to ~ documents on TARGET
TARGET: copy indigo_history.sqlite to /Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/Logs/indigo_history.sqlite on TARGET
see above on how to do it in a terminal window

step 9:
change router forwarding ports to new IP number
and similar things, depending on your setup

step10:
now move the hardware interfaces: insteon, zwave, RFX .. etc to TARGET

step11:
TARGET: start indigo on new server, enter license key etc
modify plugins if needed to reflect new environment (ip numbers etc)

step12:
SOURCE: start indigo client (here it is important that you renamed the server app!!) and connect to new indigo server as remote client, to see if that works

It took me ~ 2 hours with trial and error, following this script one should be able to do it in half the time

hope that helps

Karl
Last edited by kw123 on Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:44 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Posted on
Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:45 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: steps to move indigo to a new mac

Nice writeup. Before step 7, we recommend running the Indigo installer on the new Mac - this will fix any permission issues there may be with the directory. Also, if you correctly moved the install folder over, then you shouldn't have to enter registration information again.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:35 pm
kw123 offline

thats what is meant to be part of step 6 "install indigo on destination"

Jay, could we make the first post sticky -- always shows up first -- and then I can keep it up to date ..

anyway any comments welcome, would like to add details to this flow to make it easier, e.g. the copy steps etc.

so please chime in

Karl

Posted on
Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:52 am
yassi offline

Hi Karl,

thanks for the tutorial, good work!

But: at step 6, do we really need the drivers?
I'm a little bit confused, because for my Aeon Gen5 stick I didn't installed any drivers (with 10.6.8).

Best,
Yassi

Posted on
Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:47 am
kw123 offline

I am using the old version. And there you need 2. I will add that comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:12 pm
rhanson offline

+1 on request to sticky this thread
Also, a mention of this on the FAQ would be nice, would have saved me about 12 minutes. :-)

Edit:
I'd like to add to Step 4, that you may need to install + test some python libs on the new machine if you have your own scripts or plugins that depend on them. (Install into the correct python path, not the OSX default).

Posted on
Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:50 pm
Japple55 offline

This great, Karl, thanks for posting. Timely too...I just picked up a Mac Mini yesterday. One question: are the installations OS agnostic? IOW, could I follow these directions to move an Indigo installation from a MacBook with Yosemite to a new Mac Mini with El Capitan? I could always upgrade the MacBook to El Capitan before I did it but thought I would ask. I wasn't sure if Indigo is different on different OS's.
Thanks,
Jim

Posted on
Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:54 pm
kw123 offline

It should be . But if you encounter problems you might do better to upgrade the laptop first then move. So that you reduce the number of things to test to debug.

Posted on
Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:27 am
yassi offline

kw123 wrote:
It should be . But if you encounter problems you might do better to upgrade the laptop first then move. So that you reduce the number of things to test to debug.

Karl, to come back to this topic, now with the availability of Indigo 7 I would like to have Indigo on at least 10.7 machine (actually it runs on an old 1.5 single Core MacMini with 10.6.8, so can't upgrade to V7)

Do you think I can take my clone - which runs every night on the MacMini and boot it on the MacBook (2008 white) and then update to 10.7 + updates, before I try your manual copy script?

Yassi

Posted on
Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:46 am
kw123 offline

Let s discuss online difficult to go through these details through posts.

Posted on
Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:50 am
yassi offline

kw123 wrote:
Let s discuss online difficult to go through these details through posts.

Ok, let me know whn you have the time.

Posted on
Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:51 am
yassi offline

Guys,

now, I really need your help.

I found a used MacMini 2009 (2.66) which I will buy as a replacement for my old MacMini 1.5 Single Core, so I could go higher as 10.6.x and also upgrade to Indigo 7.

My idea is to boot on the MacMini 2009 the clone with my Indigo 6 and 10.6.8 - should not make any problems.

Please help me now for the next steps before upgrading to Indigo 7:
- first update the system to whatever (thinking staying with 10.10.x or 10.11. Ideas?
- I have the XCode package installed for 10.6.x - do I have to upgrade it !?!
- I have homebrew - need to upgrade !?!
- No special plugins. The only one which I suppose will not work anymore is the mqttGateway (uses Python 2.6) - Jeremy please help. Otherwise I will then upgrade the other plugins (Hue, IndigoPlot, RGBW Lights and so on).

What do you think? Please advice which is the best method for the upgrade/ update procedure. Which steps first?

Thanks in advance!!!

Yassi

Posted on
Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:41 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

yassi wrote:
- first update the system to whatever (thinking staying with 10.10.x or 10.11. Ideas?

Unless you have a lot of stuff installed on the old Mac, I wouldn't bother doing the clone. A completely fresh OS install is always preferable to bringing along any potential baggage of a previous install. Just my opinion...

yassi wrote:

Indigo doesn't need Xcode. But, when you install whatever OS you install then you can just install the latest Xcode from the App store.

yassi wrote:

A word of warning: don't use homebrew to install Python. It creates a lot more problems than it solves.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:54 am
yassi offline

jay (support) wrote:
yassi wrote:

Unless you have a lot of stuff installed on the old Mac, I wouldn't bother doing the clone. A completely fresh OS install is always preferable to bringing along any potential baggage of a previous install. Just my opinion...

yassi wrote:

Indigo doesn't need Xcode. But, when you install whatever OS you install then you can just install the latest Xcode from the App store.

yassi wrote:

A word of warning: don't use homebrew to install Python. It creates a lot more problems than it solves.

Jay, thanks!
Well, I know, it would be better to have a clean system. What do you suggest in this case? 10..10.x or 10.11.x? I have the Gen5 Aeon stick and about 20 device.
If a clean install, then move the actual Indigo 6 like in Karl's post before and then upgrade, or set-up everything up again?

Ok, got that thing with XCode!

I know, I wouldn't install it anymore - I had a lot of headaches with it!
But one of the one plugins I am using is the mqttGateway from Jeremy (it uses Python 2.6 - think it won't work anymore) and it needs some stuff only available via homebrew, like the mosquitto client, libraries and so on.
It's a cheap way to integrate sensors via MQTT (built the first prototype with NodeMCU and temp. sensor - everything incl. case 10€), runs perfect!!!

Posted on
Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:53 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I'd start with a clean 10.11 if it were me - no Sierra. Then just move over your Indigo 6 folder and go from there.

Jay (Indigo Support)